Chapter 37

The plane has a shower.

Not that it's important, but why does a plane have a shower? I didn't know that was a thing.

Cole and I got on the plan twenty minutes ago. We haven't spoke much but he hasn't let me out of his sight.

Why does this plane have a shower?

"Flo are you listening to me?" Cole's gentle voice brings me back to reality.

"There's a shower." I reply to him.

"You are in shock. I am going to help you get into the shower Florence okay, if you don't want me to just tell me. This is your choice you have all the power here but I have done this for Vienna since we were kids."

I stare at him and look at the man who's became one of the closest people in my life, family. "What the hell happened Cole."

"Do you trust me Flo?" He asks turning on the shower.

"Yes" I whisper tears streaming down my face.

"I am going to take this jacket off of you, is that okay?" He doesn't move just stares at me.

"That's okay." I answer frozen in time. How did I get here, how did all of this happen.

He carefully unzips the jacket and chucks it into the black bin liner he got out.

"I know this is difficult Flo but I need you stay with me right now, get out of your head." He doesn't touch me just stares into my eyes.

I've seen the soft side of Cole but never this family man side.

"Where on your body did they hit you?" His voice is clinical yet soft.

"Just my face."

"Never your stomach or ribs?" He asks pressing down on my ribs now.

"No never." I reply.

"Okay, your stomach looks slightly swollen so we will get the doctor to have a look for internal injuries then." He stops prodding me now.

"Are you comfortable Flo? I can leave the room if needs be, this is all your choice."

"You can stay Cole." I whisper.

I climb in the shower and Cole gets to work scrubbing my toes, ankles, shins, thighs. He is clinical and works as if he's done this a hundred times before.

"When Vienna would come back from missions she'd sometimes not wash and stay in the same clothes for days, she'd literally ruin her own pants with piss and shit just to help kids out of the flesh trade. When she came back she was mentally and physically drained, she couldn't even lift her head up. So I would wash her and put her to bed, Aaron would help to. It was never a big thing since she would do the same for us." He story helps keep my out of my head as he scrubs my body.

"I have scrubbed blood, dirt, sweat, vomit and tears off of my two best friends but I must say that you're filthy Flo, this plane is going to have to stock up on shower gel. You've used it all." I can't help but laugh, only Cole could find a way to joke through all of this.

Once the dirt is scrubbed off of my skin and my hair is washed I'm wrapped up in a towel as Cole hunts for some clothes. He pulls out fresh underwear and a grey tracksuit.

"Are you okay to dress yourself?" He asks looking concerned at my face. Now it's cleaned of all the dirt and mud he can see all the bruises.

"Yes I'm okay." I smile at him.

"Good, I will be out side if you need me, come join me once you're done."

I take the towel off and stare at myself in the mirror, I haven't seen myself this clean in weeks. It's funny how you view small things so differently after being deprived of them.