Chapter 2

"Aaaand we are done" I squirm jumping into mum's arms.

It took us two hours to get my room how I wanted it. A few weeks ago, mum and I sat up all night making mood boards on Pinterest of how we were going to decorate my room and we really brought the vision to life.

Dad and Carter went down the road to a pub while they waited for us to decorate. They were both very old school in the sense of they felt no need to help decorate my room the way mum and I wanted to.

The room itself is plain white but I wanted the theme to be black, grey and pink. Black curtains draped above the bed, with grey silk bedsheets and pink fluffy pillows thrown on top.

I don't know how I'm going to make my room tidy every day, mum done it so perfectly and usually the cleaners deal with my room at home.

Over by the desk I decided to keep it simple, a black lamp, organiser holding all my colour coordinated pens and highlighters, my laptop, calendar pinned to the wall with a mirror next to it and then fairy lights across the shelves just above the desk where my TV also sat.

The room feels warm, not in the temperature type of way. Instead, it feels like my safe place, comfort blanket when shitty things go on.

I feel like I am going to spend a lot of time in here and Starbucks, they're already pinned as my two favourite places.

"Now, your father and Carter are on their way back, probably slaughtered with how long we took to decorate your new room" mum chuckled before letting out a sigh "so speak freely now or forever hold your peace."

I furrowed my brow confused by what she meant. "I don't understand. What do you mean?" She gave me the 'I'm not stupid do not try to fool me' look

"Well, if there is anything in your life you would like to speak to me freely about while your father and that mut of a boyfriend isn't here do so now" I gasp at what she just called Carter, a 'mut'.

Mother never spoke about anyone badly, she always let me slate my friends and call them the worst things, but she never called anyone anything.

I let out a chuckle "Did you just call Carter a mut?"

She giggled wrapping an arm around me and sitting us on the bed "I know he's not good enough for you sweetie, he tries to play the act in front of me and your father and I must admit he's superb at fooling your father, but no one could ever fool me when it comes to my daughter. Your father wants you safe, looked after and stable, it's what runs through his veins and his family, it's all he knows, and I love him for that but you're also my daughter and all I want for you is happiness. So, while you're at university, do what you have to do. Have fun, make friends, live a little, get extra drunk and kiss lots of boys just don't let your father find out please, I don't want his hair falling out just yet."

A burst of laughter fills the room. Mum always says the right things and the thing is she is always right. Fuck Carter I need to live my life how I want to live it.

Before we could carry on our heart to heart the door opens, father and Carter stumble in looking just as mum said, slaughtered.

"Sweetheart! Wow the room looks amazing. You both have done a fantastic job!" father sways in trying to act normal. Carter follows behind, he hasn't said anything but gives a grimace expression.

"Thank you, father, it was all mum really. You know how amazing she is at decorating" I smile lightly walking over to father to give him a hug. Carter still hasn't said anything, it scares me when he's drunk and quiet because I can't figure out what he's thinking.

"Right, well me and your mother are going to get going and leave you and Carter to finally spend some time together and explore. We love you so much darling and will visit on Saturday for our weekly tea session." Mother walks over to me and father and joins the big hug.

I am squished between the two of them feeling protected and safe from the outside world I never want it to end.

They pack up all the boxes and kiss me goodbye. "Text me if you need anything sweetie, I love you so much and remember what I said" mum whispers the last part so father and Carter doesn't hear.

I wave them goodbye at the door and out of the window once they're in the car. As I turn around, I completely forget Carter has been in the room this whole time looking pissed off.