𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

❀。• *₊°。 ❀°。

❀。• *₊°。 ❀°。

AU'RAIS POV
Lo'ak and I were made to pick up and clean anything that was left after the fire. Which luckily wasn't much. But we wouldn't be allowed to ride ilus for a month and we both had to start training immediately. I was going to be taught how to heal, hunt, and cook. While Lo'ak was going to begin training for his rite of passage early. We wouldn't start until tomorrow though.

After a long and awful day I headed home to my hut. On the way there I got multiple glares from people of the clan. You would think I would get at least a bit of respect since I'm the chiefs and tashiks daughter but I guess not. The villages respect for my family is divided into fourths. Some for my mother, some for my father, some for my sister, and some for my brother. But everyone forgets my family isn't a family of four, its a family of five.

I tried my best to ignore all of the stares I got but it's kind of difficult to. I imagine it's more difficult for Lo'ak, he is already more of an outcast than me because he looks different and he is not from here. Sometimes I feel like I'm not from here either. I've always known that I don't really belong here. I'm not wanted.

I finally reached my family's pod and it was empty except for my father who sat in the hut sharpening his spear. He glanced up with a smile, but it faded as soon as he saw me. He looked down and continued to do what he was doing, paying me no mind.

"D-dad?" I said trying my best not to break down crying.

"Yes?"

I cleared my throat before taking a seat in front of him.

"I'm sorry" he stopped what he was doing but he still didn't look at me. "I'm sorry for...for not behaving. I'm sorry for not being a good daughter. I'm sorry for all of it" Tears began to build in my eyes and he finally looked up to see me. "But you have to believe me when I tell you, that Lo'ak and I did not start that fire. We were just trying to defend ourselves" My father let out a sigh before standing up. He walked towards me and put his hand on my shoulder.

"I want to believe you daughter, I really do, but I just can't bring myself to" He walked out of the hut leaving me alone. I put my head down trying to stop my tears from spilling out of my eyes, but I found it impossible. I don't like crying, I don't like how your eyes get puffy, I don't like the lump that forms in your throat before you start to cry. I just hate it all.

Suddenly a memory from earlier came to my mind. Neteyam. Our spot. I quickly bolted out of the hut and ran as fast as I could, hoping that my boy was still there. When I arrived I was totally out of breath, but I looked up to see him. He was sitting on one of the rocks, overlooking the ocean. I smiled and walked towards him when he heard me he turned to me and smiled. He was quick to embrace me in a long tight hug. That was enough for some more tears to form, but not from sadness, from happiness. I was happy to be in his loving arms.

"I thought you weren't going to be here" I said quickly wiping a tear away.

"I'll always be here" he caressed my face and then brought me in for a soft kiss. When we pulled away we both smiled. "Let's sit"

I took a seat in between his legs and he wrapped his arms around my shoulders. We were like this for a bit until I heard him laugh softly.

"What?" I asked with a smile.

"You're so small compared to me" he said "I could do whatever I want to you" his words made me blush ferociously. But I wasn't going to show him that I was flustered. I turned to face him so now we were chest to chest.

"Then why don't you do something?" I smirked. He smirked back before looking down at my lips. He put his hand on my cheek and brought me in for a kiss.

"We'll have plenty of time for that when we're mates my love"

The subject of mating made my mood go down a bit and he noticed. That's one of the things I love most about Neteyam, he's so observant and he always knows exactly what I'm feeling. Growing up I always saw how easily my parents could communicate and understand each other with just one look and I always knew that I wanted that for myself and my future mate. And when I'm with Neteyam it feels just like that, we don't need words to understand each other.

"What is wrong?" He asked

"It's just that" I stopped and thought about my words for a moment "everyday, us mating seems less and less likely. It feels like there's always something in the way stopping us"

"That may be true, but if there's one thing I know" he said while holding my hand "is that I have the strongest and most perfect girl by my side."

"You are strong too Neteyam" I said placing my hand over his heart.

"Exactly. We are strong together, so together we will overcome any obstacle that is thrown our way." We put our foreheads together for a moment and enjoyed the feeling of being together. He then laid on his back and I laid on his chest, we were both looking at the stars.

"I just wish we could get far away from here. Go some place where nobody would stop us from being together." I said

"I'll take you away one day Au'rai. I would do that and more for you because I love you. I love you so so much" he said holding me tighter.

"Even if I'm a disaster and not perfect like you or my sister?" I questioned with a smile. He smiled too before speaking.

"Especially then my love." He kissed my head "you're nothing like me and I like that"

"But you're so amazing Neteyam! I wish I was more like you."

"No" he shook his head "believe it or not the world for me is too calm. It's full of boring people who always do as they're told. My world is grey." He held me a bit tighter and he kind of cradled me in his arms. "Au'rai, you are special. You fill my days with endless colors. You show me how to live. I love that you don't follow the rules, I love that you're your own person." I noticed his voice start to become quieter and sleepier. I smiled knowing that he was going to fall asleep any second now.

I've never felt truly loved. I've never even felt seen. But this boy in this moment has completely changed all of that. He doesn't care that I'm not Tsireya he loves me for being me. I never in a million years thought I would find someone to love me the way Neteyam does.

I looked up and saw Neteyam's eyes were closed. I cuddled into him closer and closed my eyes as well.

"I see you Au'rai" My eyes immediately shot open at his words but his were still closed. I closed my eyes again before speaking.

"I see you Neteyam"