Chapter 1: Lacey

It was a beautiful day out in Missouri today. The sun was high up in the sky and the sky was light blue. There was only a few clouds out today, but they all looked like cotton balls. You could hear the birds chirping and see the creatures out and about. Lacey could just smell the forest air and freshly cut grass. She loved this weather. She used to remember how her and her mom would just go out walking. They both loved nature and warm weather.
Lacey sighed, she dreads thinking of her family. She still hasn't got over her parents passing. If it wasn't for Victoria, she doesn't want to know what would've happened.
   Lacey closed her window and grabbed some clothes for a quick shower. She grabbed some blue ripped jean shorts (that stopped about mid thigh), a loose grey shirt, and her blue undergarments. She walked into her bathroom and grabbed a black towel under the sink. She set her stuff on the counter and set the water where she liked it. She stripped down and entered the warm water. She scrubbed tango fruit soap on (it's a fruity smell), and washed her hair with her green apple dandruff free shampoo and conditioner. She shaved and washed her face. After, she was done she turned off the shower and stepped out to dry herself off. After getting mostly dried the best she could, she got dressed and brushed her hair. She plugged in her blow dryer and dried her hair. When, she was done she went into her bedroom slipped on some socks and shoes for a walk.
   Outside, Lacey took a deep breath in taking in all her surroundings. Lacey lives by herself in the country. She's not to far from civilization, but far enough where she doesn't have any neighbors. She lives close to the woods, but she never stepped foot in them. The woods seems eerie, with how dark it is. You can only see about a yard and then it just darkness from there. She could hearing howling sometimes, mostly at night, but not very often. Lacey has never lived by herself before so as soon as she hears howling at night she locks her windows, doors, and her car. Thank goodness she has a lock on her keys so, she doesn't have to go outside. If she did she might have a heart attack.             Lacey started walking down her long gravel driveway until, she got to the highway. She took a deep breath and started jogging. The highway isn't really busy, maybe a couple of cars would drive by, but nothing more. When she spotted by the gas station after 20 minutes of jogging she started to run towards it. Lacey always does this twice a week, to keep fit. In middle school through highschool she was always over weight. After, her parents died she lost a lot, because she didn't eat and she always went on walks to clear her head. When she was running her ponytail kept hitting her back. Perks, of having long hair. Lacey rushed in and went straight for the drinks.
"Well, howdy there Lacey." The store clerk, John greeted.
"Hey John." Lacey greeted back breathless.
Lacey grabbed a blue Powerade and went up to the counter to pay.
"That'd be all?" John asked.
"Yes, thank you."
"Alright, that'll be $2.35 sweet pea."
She handed him the money and gulped down some of the drink.
"Easy there Lacey."
She capped her drink and turned to leave.
"See ya John."
"See ya."
  Lacey left the store and started to walk back to the highway. A black SUV almost ran Lacey over getting into the gas station. Lacey bit her lip to stop her from shouting at the people. The SUV parked at a gas pump and a guy with dirty blonde hair got out. He was big muscle wise, but that didn't matter to Lacey. She marched up to him and stood face to face with the man.
  The man look down at her, because he towered over her. He raised his eyebrows at her waiting for her to speak.
"Look here mister mocho man. You better watch where you are going." She threatened, poking his chest.
The man simply looked amused. A girl is trying to threaten him.
"Or what?" He asked her with a smirk.
"Or what?" Lacey mocked. "Next time you almost run me over you better watch it, 'cause I am not go to tolerate it."
  After Lacey spoke two guys stepped out if the vechile looking at Lacey amused. They all towered over her in height and in muscle. Lacey didn't care.
The man bent down to Lacey.
"What would you do?" He asked her lowly.
Her glare hardened. "You don't want to know." She said just as low.
The man laughed and stood up. He ruffled her hair.
"You got guts kid."
Lacey huffed and looked at the other two. They both had ashy blonde hair and they had tattoos all up their arms.
"What are you two staring at?" She spat.
They both raised there hands in surrender.
She turned on her heel and jogged off.
"Unbelievable." She muttered.
She could hear the guys laughing at her.
"Kid. Ha. Funny. I'm 18 and I take care of myself." Lacey said talking to herself.
Lacey started to slow down, she took a drink of her Powerade when she spotted her driveway.
"Huh? Must of spaced out."
She ran all the way home and took a bubble bath to relax. She made sure not to get her hair wet, for it was already washed.
  Lacey got ready for bed, she slipped on her pajamas, which was just a big shirt that stopped above her knees.   She walked into the kitchen got herself a glass of sweet tea and made herself some dinner. After, she ate she called her best friend, Victoria and told all that happened today.
Victoria laughed at Lacey after she finished.
"Oh babe you really know how to make me laugh." Victoria said sobering up.
"It wasn't supposed to be funny." Lacey pouted.
"You're right, I'm sorry." Victoria said, but you could tell she's holding in another laugh.
Lacey sighed. "Go ahead laugh. Might as well seeing as you already did."
Just like that Victoria laughed and laughed.
"What great friend you are." Lacey muttered.
"Whew, girl I got ago. Thanks for the story. Talk to you later bye."
"Bye."
They hung up and Lacey layed down in her bed.
Lacey sent a prayer to her family and went to sleep.