~xiii~

You were sat next to the Queen, Geralt sat on the right side of you, his hand gripped firmly on your thigh.

Men came up to the table and served food, as the Queen cursed under her breath.

"Damn this cursed thing," She cursed at her corset. "I'd as soon see this night out in armor."

"As would I," You mumbled.

"Indeed," Calanthe said, slowly turning her head to face you. "Tell me, how does a Witcher and a Sorceress find her and himself at my daughter's wedding feast dressed like a..." She started laughing, cutting off her own words.

"We're protecting the bard from vengeful royal cuckolds," You said, lifting the wine to your lips.

"Idiots, the lot of them," The Queen scolded, as you nodded your head.

You tucked the loose strands of hair behind your ear, Geralt reaching up and lacing his fingers with yours, avoiding eye-contact as the two of your hands rested on your thigh.

"Still," Calanthe said, pulling her gaze away from you. "I'm glad of your company, which could prove handy."

It was your turn to face the Queen.

"I have no doubt blood will spill here tonight," Calanthe said, and you looked away, exhaling through your nostrils.

Geralt's thumb rubbed over yours, a comforting motion.

"Save the good Queen's breath," Geralt said. "We're not for hire as a bodyguard."

"You were hired just so by the bard," Calanthe said.

"We're helping the idiot free of his coin," Geralt said.

"And he's the idiot?" Calanthe said, with a scoff.

Both you and the Witcher turned to face the Queen.

"I'm simply saying," The Royalty said. "Surely if all goes to hell here tonight, I can count on you two to strategically remove certain irritants that may present themselves?"

You remained silent, turning back around, Geralt's thumb continuing the comforting motion.

"I'd do so myself," Calanthe continued. "Only I'm bound to uphold an artifice of decorum and...fairness."

"Hey," Geralt hissed. "We can't help you."

"So perilously direct," Calanthe said, with a smirk. "And...protective. As Queen, I could command it. "

"If we were one of your subjects," Geralt said, with a cocky smirk.

"I could torture the Sorceress so very slowly into compliance," Calanthe said, and your eyes widened in horror.

"Wh-what?" You said.

"Hush, love," Geralt said, quietly. "But, Her Majesty will do as she wishes. I'm not for turning, neither is she."

"Oh, come now," Calanthe said. "Everyone has their price."

Men started lining up in front of the Queen, introducing themselves, ready for the throne.