~viii~

The only thing keeping you warm outside was your cloak, and the warmth radiating off Geralt's hand as it laid protectively on your back.

Two horses in the front and back guarded you and Geralt as you walked along the dark trail to the border.

Suddenly, the soldiers on the horses dropped towards the ground, and Geralt held you close to him, as you allowed magic to flow through one of your hands, the other hand clinging to Geralt.

He drew his sword, using one hand to wrap around you protectively, and the other to hold up the silver weapon.

Someone, or something, whispered behind you, and both of you turned around quickly.

"You can put down your sword and stop with the magic," A woman in a hooded cloak said. "I'm not here to hurt either of you."

"Says the witch hiding in the woods," You muttered.

"Sorceress," She said. "Just like you."

"Witch," Geralt argued.

The Sorceress removed her hood, revealing dark blue eyes, and brown curly hair.

"Triss Merigold," She said. "I serve King Foltest."

"So he makes a show of kicking us out..." Geralt said. "Then sends his errand girl to slip us some coin so we kill his monster. Not a very original plan for a King."

He lowered his sword, still holding you protectively, and you allowed the magic to disappear into your hand.

"It's my plan," Triss said. "My coin. And I don't want you to kill the beast. I want you to help me save it."

"Wow, this week just keeps getting weirder and weirder," You thought.

You looked up at Geralt, who seemed to pull you closer.

"Come," Triss said. "Allow me to take you two to my cottage."

She walked forwards, and Geralt hesitated, before slowly following her.

When you entered the warm cottage, it had a whole punch of different potions in different colors. Lots of plants and herbs, and the smell of spice.

"Six years ago, stable hands started vanishing at the castle above the city," Triss said. "Before long, citizens were disappearing throughout all Temeria. Foltest's royal guards soon realized the creature was coming from the crypt where the King's sister Adda is buried. Rumor has it she was having an affair with a young man in town when she died."

"Was she pregnant?" You asked, crossing your arms over your stomach.

Triss looked at you.

"Well, if she were, that would make her child the sole heir to the throne as Foltest never married," Triss said. "The King fled the castle, ignoring the rising death toll. After Nilfgaard overthrew their King, the Brotherhood couldn't risk it happening again, so they sent me here three months ago to cure the creature."

"Vukodlaks are freak mutations," Geralt said. "They can't be cured."

"Good thing it's not a vukodlak," Triss said, causing your eyes to widen and Geralt to tilt his head. "Come with me."