005

105 AC

It had been two moons since Daemons public show of affection, two moons since the end of Princess Valeras name day celebration.

After Prince Daemon had come to Valera's bed chambers, the two had grown even more inseparable. Even moving their usual places at the dinner table so they could sit near each other.

Prince Daemon constantly occupied the Princess's mind. The affection they have shared, consuming every private thought she had.

The Queen Aemma was now bed ridden again, pregnancy taking a toll on her body. Any time Valera wasn't with her uncle, she was sitting with her mother and ordering around the maester and her mothers handmaidens.

"You do not need to fuss over me, my love," the Queen would tell her daughter.

"I will fuss," the girl insisted, "everyone here is here for the babe. Someone must be here for you," Valera smiled and dabbed her forehead with a soft white cloth. Valera then requesting for a new, cold pitcher of water and more milk of the poppey for her mother.

Queen Aemma was well aware of the affections between her daughter and good-brother, and was a fan of the two. She had watched both her daughter and Daemon grow up together, seeing their love blossom with every moment they spent together.

Queen Aemma had even mentioned to the King how she believe Daemon was the best fit for Valera, to which the King reminded his lady wife that he was already married. To this, Queen Aemma reminded King Viserys that the marriage was never consummated, and therefor, could still be annulled.

Viserys was upset by Aemmas words, refusing to acknowledge the true affection between his brother and daughter. He told his wife not to speak anymore of this 'nonsense'.

The Queen, once again, brought up the affection between the two after the tournament. This time, Viserys was less blind to what the Queen saw, and he listened to his wife's proposition but was also quick to remind her of the Faith of the Seven.

As Valera was making her way out to the Garden, searching for her uncle, she was stopped by Otto Hightower. To this, Valera was annoyed, giving her fathers hand an odd look when he called for her.

"Your father wishes to speak to you," Otto informs the princess, "he is in his chambers."

Without a word to her fathers hand, Valera set off the opposite way she had been walking.

During the walk to her fathers chambers, she wondered what he needed to speak to her about. Valera assumed it had something to do with her name day.

Probably proposals, Valera thought to herself. It had been two moons and her father hadn't said anything about the many Lords who tried to win her affections during the celebrations.

As the guards standing before the Kings chambers see Valera approaching, they bow before her and announce her to her father. The guards wait for the Kings answer before opening the large double doors that lead to his chambers.

Valera smiles at the two guards, having known them since she was young and enter her fathers room. The King was standing before the large sculpture of Valyria. It was not yet finished, in fact, far from it. But the King spent much of his days perfecting the ceramic collection, especially when the Queen was ill.

After all these years, the King found it hard to continuously watch his love suffer, especially after all of the failed pregnancies the couple have had. So instead, he occupied his mind by coming up with the project of recreating old Valyria. 

"Good morrow, Father," Valera greets the King. Viserys gives his daughter a small smile and gestures for her to follow.

Viserys leaves his project and goes to stand in front of the dwindling fire, pouring himself a glass of wine. Valera follows her father and he tells her to sit, to which she does.

Viserys hands his daughter a glass of wine before seating himself in the chair facing his daughters.

"You have been quite popular," the King begins, "I figured your uncle's recklessness would've caused hesitation from your suitors. But it has seemed to have the opposite affect."

Viserys smiles warily at his daughter before sipping from the red liquid in his cup. Valera also sips from her cup, unsure of what to say to her father.

When the dark liquid meets the Princess's tongue, she is surprised but delighted. The wine her father has poured is more suited to her taste than his, he usually prefers something more bitter.

"What kind of wine is this," the Princess inquired, staring down into the wine, earning a chuckle from her father.

The King was no upset, nor surprised that his daughter has changed the topic of conversation. In fact, he expected his daughter to try avoid this conversation if she could.

"I do not remember," the King laughed, "but I can have someone see."

"You brought this up for me," the Princess stated, meet her fathers eyes, "you would remember the name if it was for you."

Viserys nodded and smiled at his eldest child. He dreaded the day he let his daughter go into another's care. Because of this, the king was going to find the best match for his daughter. Someone worthy of her love, friendship and kindness. Most importantly, someone who can make her happy.

"You've always been very observant," the King compliments Valera and she agrees with his statement.

A silence sits between the father and daughter for a few minutes and they both just stare into the fire, enjoying the wine. Valera, more than her father because soon, she was in need of a refill.

"So," the Princess broke the silence, setting her cup on the side table next to her before folding them in her lap, "which of the proposals are you fond of?"

Valera knew her fathers opinion on the suitors was important, for if he did not like them or think them worthy, he wouldn't allow them to marry.

Viserys leans to his right, grabbing a stack of papers with his free hand, "these are the ones your mother and I have picked out," the King tells his daughter, passing the stack of letters to her.

Valera was surprised to see so many papers in her fathers hand. It was true, she was beautiful, but she wasn't the friendliest Princess to live. Valera had a temper, especially when it came to her childhood companion, Daemon.

Otto Hightower learned that the hard way. It was during one of the small council meetings, soon after Daemon returned from one of his many adventures. The Rouge Prince was late to this meeting and the Hightower man began to insult the Prince, calling him an unfit heir for the King. The Princess was quick to snap back.

At only 12 years old, Valera had a sharp tongue, one she had a hard time holding.

"And what makes you so much better, cunt," the Princess spit towards the man she had disliked from the moment they met. Now,  he had given her a reason to dislike him.

The entire council was rightly surprised to hear the young Princess speak in such a way, considering she was usually quiet unless spoken to first.

After this, no one dared to speak poorly of the Prince in front of his niece.

"There are quite a few," Valera said, looking at what her father had just handed her.

"Like I said," King Viserys began to relax in his chair, "you are highly coveted."