Chapter 31

I love us for the way our eyes make love to each other's souls.

-Unknown.

Ibrahim

I looked up from the book on my lap once more to stare at Fatima. Her back was turned to me as she brushed her hair into a low ponytail. I couldn't entirely focus on anything when she was near—thoughts of her perfect being devoured every other thought I had, and I couldn't fend them off. I wouldn't. Her smile, the way she spoke, the way she moved. I could stare at her for hours.

I'm completely enamoured with her.

"How long will you keep staring at me?" she asks, looking at me through the mirror.

I walked over to her and kissed her cheek. Then, I placed my hands on her shoulders as I towered over her. "If I could, I would never take my eyes off you."

She turned beet red, and I smiled.

"You're such a romantic," she says.

"You bring it out of me," I reply.

She stands and faces me, then points to her face. "Do I look good?"

I brush my hand over the deep red marks on her neck, "Incredibly."

She shrieks and turns back to her vanity. "I forgot to cover these," she yells, referring to the hickeys.

I return to the couch, "you do not have to."

She rolls her eyes. "Yes, I'll just visit your family with hickeys on full display." she sasses.

"Fix that tone."

"Sorry."

She covers them up with makeup, gets dressed, and we head out. We arrive at Ammi's, and to no surprise, Jafar and Ailah are going at it. Hudayya notices us first and rushes to hug Fatima.

"Ya Ibrahim, did you gain weight?" she asks.

"Of course he did. That's the sign of a happy marriage," Hud responds.

Fatima laughs shyly, and we exchange greetings with everyone except Ailah and Jafar, who are crouched over the centre table arguing over something on a laptop.

"Why ask for my help if you aren't going to let me help you?" Jafar yells exasperatedly.

Ailah releases a frustrated sigh and punches his shoulder. "I asked because I thought you knew what you were doing," she yells back.

He tugs at his hair and gets up. "I'm the one with the degree and experience already. You're the one attempting to get one. So clearly, I know more than you."

"Get over yourself," she snaps, going on her tippy toes to be at eye level with him. Bukar cackles at her attempt to look taller.

"What is happening?" Fatima whispers to Hudayya.

"Ailah asked Jafar for help on her final submission since he studied the same course," she replies.

She makes an "Oh" face.

"I should get over myself? You're the one who won't listen to any of my suggestions. Do it yourself since you know everything," he shouts and sits beside me. Ailah huffs and sits back in front of her laptop, and begins aggressively typing.

Ammi shakes her head as she walks in, "Oil and water." We all laugh, and she plops down beside Fatima.

She pulls her into a hug as they exchange pleasantries. Then, as Ammi pulls away, she laughs a bit, leans into Fatima's ear, and whispers something.