Chapter 6

Too sad to cry, so she smiled.

- R. H.

Fatima

I rejected my father's call for the 8th this morning and threw my phone unto the floor. I closed my eyes and threw my head back into the pillow. All I wanted to do was sleep off my high from the party. 

The phone began buzzing again, making a light noise, and I groaned in frustration. What the hell did this man want?

"Tiims, just answer so we can sleep in peace",  Juju muttered, her voice raspier than usual.

I reluctantly got off the bed and grabbed the phone. I went into the en-suite and pressed the phone to my ear. 

"Shit", I muttered, realising I hadn't even accepted the call. 

I accepted it and put the phone back to my ear.

Dad: Is this your way of paying me back?

His tone was harsh, but when had it ever not been?

Me: What now?

Dad: Drugs Fatima? Are you trying to bring shame to my entire lineage?

My breath stilled, and my heart rate sped up. My brain went into overdrive, and my mouth was frozen shut. I couldn't get a word out.

Dad: You have nothing to say?

My fists balled. I did have something to say. Something that would get me in even more trouble.

Me: I needed something to rid me of the horrible memories of your existence.

Dad: You thoughtless pig. Do you know what this could do to my reputation? To your reputation?

Me: I don't, and even if I did, I still wouldn't have a fuck to give. But here's a solution: pretend I'm not your daughter when you're asked about it. Deny me. Act as if you've never seen me before. I'm sure you've been dying to do that for years. 

Dad: This is not the time for your silly outbursts Fatima.

Me: Is that what you call it? Do you think my telling of the truth is anything but a silly outburst? You're even less self-aware than I had thought. 

Dad: Get on the next flight back or I will come there and drag you back.

With that, he ended the call.

I smiled, then burst into fits of laughter. Nothing about the situation was funny, but I found myself in hysterics. 

But as soon as the laughter had come, it left. My mother, I needed to warn her. 

I dialled her number as soon as my fingers allowed me to. She needed to pick up, or this would all go south.

Mama: Fatima?

Me: Mama, please leave that house as soon as possible. Stay with Uncle Samir or aunty Amina for the day. 

Mama: Is something wrong? Are you okay?

Me: I'm fine, but you must leave the house now. 

Mama: Your father isn't around. I can't just up and leave. If there's something wrong, please let me know, Fatima. 

Me: I promise I'll explain later, but before, could you get somewhere safe? Please. Just trust me.

Mama: Fatima, you're scaring me.

Me: I don't have enough time to explain the situation, but you must leave before he comes home.

Mama: Okay, I'll go to your uncle's house, but you must call back and explain.

Me: I will. Please hurry up.

Mama: Okay, I'll leave now. 

Me: Text me when you get there. 

Mama: I will. 

I end the call and place my hand on my chest to calm my heart. 

I stepped out of the bathroom and began collecting my stuff. I needed to get back home and pack. 

"Is everything okay?" Juju as she squints her eyes to adjust to the lighting.

"Yeah, something came up, so I need to get back to Abuja", I answered, getting dressed. 

"Now?" she asks, rising from the bed. 

"Yes, I just need to go home and pack, then look for the next available flight," I respond. 

"Okay then, let me wake Simna," She says.

"No, you don't have to do that. I extended the checkout till four because I knew we'd sleep in, so you guys don't have to worry about it. Just sleep, and I'll call when I'm back in Nigeria," I state, grabbing my bag. 

"Okay," she says, defeated and hugged me.

I rush out and get a black cab to Euston Station. 

Ibrahim

"Pay up," I say to Akram.

"That bet wasn't valid because I crossed my fingers when we shook on it," he argues. 

"Akram, when did you become a crook?" Ammi asks, and I laugh.

"Crook? Isn't that too harsh?" he whines.

"Toh, you're going back on your word", Ammi counters. 

"I crossed my fingers, which makes it invalid", Akram says, waving his intertwined index and middle fingers in my face.

She was about to say something when her phone rang. I watch as her features harden and her face is washed in worry.

"Is it as bad as it was last time?" Ammi says into the phone. 

"Same hospital?" She asks.

"I'll be there soon", She states and ends the call. 

"I need you guys to take me to the hospital. I'll go get ready quickly, so get the car ready," She says and rushes out of the room.

Akram and I share a knowing look. I didn't want to come off as intrusive, so I kept my questions to myself. However, my curiosity was clawing at me. 

True to her word Ammi was out in less than 5 minutes. She hopped in the car, and we went to the hospital. 

This time around, Fatima's mother was conscious, and her uncle wasn't around. She greeted Ammi with a sloppy smile. 

Akram and I greeted her, and she responded. 

"You also brought Akram this time. How are you?" she asked Akram. 

"I'm good, Alhamdullilah", He replied. 

"Ibrahim, it's nice to see you again, although I would have liked the circumstances to be different", She said, turning to me.

I didn't know what to say, so I offered her a small smile.

Ammi sat on the bed and engulfed her in a hug. She began sobbing as she held Ammi tighter while Akram and I sat there awkwardly. 

"What happened?" Ammi asked. She had finally gotten her to calm down. 

"Fatima", she hiccuped, more tears sliding down her cheeks.

"Boys, can you excuse us," Ammi said.

Akram and I rose from the couch before she halted us. 

"Let them stay, Amina. It'll be good for them to hear it. It could help them stay clear of that path in the future. 

I wasn't prepared for what I had heard. I wasn't ready for the anger that would bubble inside me as she narrated what had occurred. Not just today but also the events of the last decade.