Chapter 30

There's been a place for you in my heart since we met.

-Unknown.

Fatima

I furiously tapped my foot while waiting for my mother to pick up the phone call. I wanted to get all this over with tonight. I will move forward with my life; to do that, I'll have to let everything out.

Mama: Hello?

Me: You knew Imam was leaving. You helped him.

Mama: Let me explain.

Me: You better!

Mama: You were too young to understand my reasoning then, so I couldn't tell you.

Me: Well, I'm older now. So explain away.

Mama: You're a girl Fatima. Letting you leave with Imam would have damaged your reputation. Someone would point at you everywhere you would have gone, claiming you didn't have a father.

Me: But I do have a father. Not living with him wouldn't have changed that.

Mama: Society wouldn't understand that, Fatima. Your father wouldn't have divorced me even if I had asked. People would see it as you living away from your parents for no reason. Even if your father and I were divorced, by Islamic law, you're supposed to live with him. You'd be tagged as a woman's child. Getting married alone would have been tasking.

Me: Who cares what society says? Why doesn't this apply to Imam as well?

Mama: I care what society says about my daughter. You've already been through a lot during your childhood. I didn't want adulting to be problematic as well.

I didn't want to understand her. I wasn't interested in trying to understand what she was saying. I just wanted to be angry at her.

Me: You could have asked if I wanted to stay single my entire life. You didn't even know if I was willing to risk it.

Mama: You're being silly now, Fatima. The world would be doomed if we all still reasoned with our teenage minds.

Me: You don't get to call me silly right now. I'm angry with you.

Mama: You have every right to be angry at me. I'm really sorry. All we wanted to do was protect you. My methods could have been better, but I did what I had to for you. I don't expect you to forgive me, but I hope you understand. It's all over now, and I was hoping you could put everything behind you, Fatima. Focus on the present, on the new and amazing life you're building.

Me:...

Mama: Imam and I will do our best to regain your trust again. We'll give you space and time and be there when you're ready to talk.

I stay silent; eventually, she says goodbye and ends the phone call. A part of me was pliant in accepting her apology, and another was stubborn. Once again, I was drowning in a pool of conflicting emotions. 

Falling back into the bed, I release a sigh. I knew it would be challenging, but it was much more complex than I initially thought. I needed a distraction, so I headed down to Ibrahim's study. I happily skipped down the stairs. Now that I knew he wasn't mad at me, I could give into my urges to be near him all day. 

I barged into the study with a huge smile plastered on my face and quickly took my spot on his lap. He had his phone pressed to his ear with a focused expression. Whatever he was discussing was serious. 

His idle hand was still resting on the armrest. I frowned. It belongs around my waist, not there. I slump into his chest as I wait for him to finish up. I was curious about his conversation, but my ADD got the best of me, and I zoned out.

A kiss on my cheek pulled me out of my reverie. I look at him, and he smiles. I huff and look away. 

"Are you annoyed with me?" he asks, poking my sides. I squealed whilst attempting to fight off his hands. 

"Stop!" I yell, giggling uncontrollably as he begins assaulting my sides with tickles. 

He shakes his head, "I'll stop when you say you aren't annoyed anymore."

"I'm not annoyed anymore. Please!" I manage to vocalise through fits of laughter. He finally stops, and I collect myself. 

"That wasn't fair," I say, and he just smiles. 

"Did you call your mom ?" he asks, and I nod. 

"And?"

"I guess her reason is valid, but I'm still angry. I still need more time to process it."

He kisses my temple and gives my hand a reassuring squeeze. 

"You'll be okay," he reassures. 

I fall back into him, and he hugs me closer to his body.

"I'll leave my father a nasty text later, then I'll bury the hatchet," I say, and he chuckles lightly. 

He pats my head, "I'm proud of you." 

I lift my head and kiss his cheek. My chest swells up with happiness. I loved hearing those words from him. Any form of praise that came from him hit me like a ton of bricks. I could never control the joy that rose inside of me. 

"I could stay calm and handle this maturely because of you. If you were still mad at me and giving me those scary stares, I would still be locked in the room. Thank you for being understanding," I admit. 

He gives me a menacing look. "You're welcome. But I'm still very angry with you." 

"You are?" I ask, quite taken aback.

He nods and smirks. "Your mental health matters more than my anger. So I put it aside to make sure you were okay. But I'll show you how angry I am soon." 

I jump off his lap.

"But I said I was sorry," I whined. 

He stood up and grabbed me by the waist with one hand whilst the other cupped my cheek. "I know, baby, but you need to learn your lesson," he said with false sympathy. 

"I won't do it again. Ever!" I say with the saddest face I can muster. I'm a cute girl. He had to fall for it!

"Trust me when I say you won't," he responds, an evil smirk on his perfect face. 

I blinked up at him while I tried to think of something. But, unfortunately, I didn't have any more tricks up my sleeves. My puppy eyes and whines would not get me out of this one. But I still had a few more days to try and elude. 

"Let's go eat. I'm starving," he says, pulling me out of the study. 

I can't eat at a time like this. I was in crisis. He didn't care, though, as he fed me the numerous things on his plate. The food and everything he kept me occupied with throughout the week took my mind off whatever sadistic thing he had planned for me.

 And let me tell you, future Fatima was more than displeased by this. I don't think I had ever cursed at myself for forgetting something more than I did that day.

Liar. You liked every bit of it.

_

I'm so close to finishing this book. WTF!