Chapter 7

Nobody is coming to save you.

-Unknown

Ibrahim

I couldn't stop thinking about it. Every time I closed my eyes, I would see her. Her eyes stared directly into mine. Those eyes that hid the ugliest of truths, those eyes that had seen harsh realities.

Why would a father act that way toward his child?  How could someone so respected commit such vile acts? How did he live with himself?  

I was unable to remove the image of her from my mind. I couldn't fathom what she must have felt, the sadness and trauma she kept inside her. Was there something I could do? Would she accept help from a total stranger? 

She found temporary happiness using drugs, but had she gone off the deep end? Was she salvageable? 

These were the questions that plagued my mind as I tossed and turned. I hadn't gotten a wink of sleep in two days. 

Would she even be okay now that she's back in Nigeria?

After another hour of overthinking, I offered my fajr prayer, making sure to pray for her and her mother. It's the least I can do as of right now.

I shower and get ready before heading to work. The work day ended at four, and I returned home. All I wanted to do was lie in bed.

Before heading up, I stopped by my father's study, where I met him and Baba, having a conversation. I greeted them both, and they replied.

"Is everything okay, Ibrahim? You look beat," Baba asks.

"I've just been struggling to sleep", I responded.

"Insomnia, that's not good. Is something on your mind?" My dad asks.

I narrated the story of my hospital visit with Ammi to them. 

"Of course, that would be enough to bother anyone to the point of insomnia," Baba says. 

"He had told me she wasn't returning to school and that he was looking for a suitable match for her yesterday. But I didn't know this was the reason," My dad states looking perplexed. 

"He said he thought the son of Major Tahir would be a good fit for her," He added. 

"Usman Tahir?" I asked. 

I worked with him briefly last year. He was married with two kids and a serial womaniser. Every night we went to dinner as a unit, he would leave with a different woman while ignoring his wife's phone calls.

He was a controlling and abusive piece of shit who had no regard for anyone other than himself. If Fatima fell into his hands, it would be disastrous.

"She can't marry Usman," I say. 

"We can't do anything, Ibrahim," My dad replies.

"Dad, his wife once showed up to one of our dinners because she was worried he hadn't picked up her calls the entire day, and he slapped her right in front of us," I argue.

"Why would he give his daughter to a controlling asshole like that?" I add.

"Because he wants her to continue living in pain as she has been for years. He found someone who is exactly like him." Baba replies.

"We can't let that happen", I state. 

Anger coursed through me as I spoke.

"Then what would you have me do, Ibrahim? I can't interfere with someone's home affairs," My dad counters.