Chapter 20

What a plot twist you were.

- Unknown.

Fatima

I converse with them a bit more before being ushered into a car by two of my annoying Aunties. I found it amusing how my aunts and cousins acted as if they loved me in the presence of Ibrahim's family.

They spat all sorts of bs the entire car ride, and I did my best to block them out. But unfortunately, my phone was with Juju, so I had no choice but to keep myself busy with my surroundings. Sitting in the middle, I couldn't even look out the window. 

I cursed under my breath throughout the ride and finally breathed a sigh of relief when we pulled into a gate. I extended my neck a bit to get a better view of the house. It was a modern white three-story house, and it was pretty big. 

Did they buy this in the two-week preparation space or already own it? Knowing this family, they probably had many of these around the world. My father was well off, but not to this extent. So while their extravagance didn't shock me, it was still odd to see. 

We descended the vehicle, and I was guided into the house. I wanted to shake their nasty hands off me, but my hood covered my eyes, so I needed them to navigate the way. They led me up the two flights of stairs to a bedroom I assumed was mine. 

They completed the formalities with his family while I sat there, unable to see anything. 

"Fatima, we'll be leaving now. Allah ya bada zaman lafiya," one of my aunts says. I couldn't see her but knew she had a fake smile. 

People bid me farewell as they left until only the younger ones were left. Ailah and Hudayya took up half of the bed while Juju and Safina sat on the loveseats. I could hear my cousins' obnoxious voices as they toured the house. Finally, they wrapped up their gossip sessions and eventually left. 

Safina left an hour into our arrival, and the rest of the girls kept me company till it got dark. 

"Ya Akram just texted. They're five minutes away," Ailah says. 

Juju rises from her chair, "that's my cue." 

"I'll escort you outside," I say, jumping up. 

She shakes her head. 'Tiims, you shouldn't do that."

"I want to. Let's go".

I walk her out to her car. My eyes had already fogged up, and I would break down any minute now. 

"This is it, tiims. I'll see you soon," she says, a sad smile on her face.

I throw myself into her arms, letting go of the tears I'd been fighting back. I sobbed into her shoulder as she did the same. Juju was my only friend, and I couldn't imagine my life without her. 

"Promise me we'll FaceTime every day," I say, choking back sobs.

"I promise".

I held her tighter. Maybe we were overreacting, but I was together with Juju at least two hundred days in a year, and now all that was about to change. 

"I should go. It would be best if you didn't make him wait," she says, pulling away. 

I turn to see Ibrahim standing by the door. Our eyes meet, and he walks into the house wordlessly. 

"Yeah," I reply. 

With one last hug, she gets into her car and drives out. I stand aimlessly for a few minutes before walking back into the house.