Chapter 14

I'll survive. Somehow I always do.

- Unknown.

Fatima

Saying I was nervous would be an understatement. However, I had been calm in the days leading up to this moment. But right now, my diaphragm was refusing to expand. I deluded myself into thinking I could go through with this. What had I been thinking? 

I paced around my room. My legs had grown tired, and I had worked up a sweat from the movement. 

A knock pulled me out of my thoughts, "Come in."

To my surprise, Juju walked in along with Safina. I flung myself into her arms, yearning for the familiar warmth of my best friend. 

She squeezed me tightly, "I'm glad I ignored your request for me not to come."

She had asked repeatedly to come, and I had begged her not to inconvenience herself each time. But that was not the main reason. Ibrahim made his stance on my friends very clear during our first meeting. 

But this was a matter I would deal with when it came to a head.

I pulled away and looked at her face, "I'm glad you did."

She pulled me towards my bathroom, "hurry and take a shower. You only have 4 hours." 

As much as I had pleaded with Mama and Aunty Amina to scrap the idea of any event, they didn't have it. His extended family was hell-bent on having multiple events, but upon hearing my plea, they agreed to downsize to just two.

So here I was, getting ready for my yini. It would be held in Aunty Amina's house. She said putting all that space in her front yard to good use would be good. Her house was immensely huge, so fitting hundreds of people would be easy.

 The event was minor. It was just an opportunity for his extended family to meet me. So, after finishing my make-up, I changed into a green and silver HKG lace. It was a straight-fitted, long-sleeved blouse and mermaid skirt with a train. 

The design wasn't over the top or simple. On the contrary, it was perfectly in the middle. I tied my headscarf and settled for black YSL opyum heels as footwear. I made a mental note to pick some flats before leaving. 

"Fatima, are you ready? Ibrahim is on his way to pick you up," Mama says, rushing into the room. 

I answered her as I put some essentials into my bag, "Yes. I'll be down before he gets here. 

"You're taking that mom bag?" she questions, eyeing it.

I was taking my YSL tote because it was big enough to fit everything I would need in an emergency. 

I give her a perplexing look, "how is this a mom bag?"

She walks into my closet and pulls out a small YSL shoulder bag, "You'll only need your phone, lip gloss and some money."

She pulls said items out of the tote into the shoulder bag and hands it to me. 

"Now it's time for the gold," she says, opening up the multiple boxes of gold jewellery she had placed on my ottoman last night. "Did you pick one?" 

I shake my head, and she sighs. She aligns the necklaces to my neck one by one, examining the best fit. Finally settling on one, she helps me put the pieces on.

"You look so perfect. Grab your veil and head down. I'll see you at the event in an hour," she says, leaving. 

I spray on some perfume, grab Juju's hand and begin my descent. The house was modestly crowded. My father's family had shown up in full force, most likely because the next wedding they would attend here was years away.