Chapter 26

I don't really know why I'm still hoping.

-Unknown.

Fatima

Halima and her mom tried their best to get information about Akram out of me, but I brushed them off, saying I had something to do. I escaped and went back to my seat. Not long after, Zara returned in a princess mini-dress, and everyone was ordered to gather around the cake.

She looked so cute. Her hair had been put up into pigtails with bows. Reluctantly I went over and joined in as everyone sang happy birthday to her. She cut the cake and began sharing it with her friends. 

As the festivities continued, I checked my phone regularly for Juju's text. It's been over an hour since they said they'd be here. I had practically sat through the party on my own. I was about to text when I noticed her car pulling in. 

I quickly walked over to the car as they parked. I perched my hands on my waist and glared at the car. 

"We're sorry, Ma. We had to stop and get something," Simna says. 

"It took you two hours to get something?" I asked. 

"Sorry, munchkin," Juju says as they hug me. 

"Where's Rabi?" I ask. 

"She's going to meet up with us," Simna answers. 

I eye them suspiciously, "Meet up with us where?" 

"You'll see," Simna replies. 

I shake my head at them, "Nope. I need to go home." 

"Told you," Juju says. 

Simna wraps her arm around my shoulder, "Please, Tiims, it's been so long since we've hung out. Just one hour, I promise."

I have missed these two, I thought. But I shouldn't. I promised him. 

"You guys go without me. We'll see each other soon." I say. 

Simna hugs me and rests her head on my shoulder, " Dan Allah Tiims, just two songs, and you can go."

"Two songs? Karaoke?" I ask. 

"Yes, you made me spoil the surprise," Simna says. 

I look to Juju, and she shakes her head, "Just two songs, then I'll go. No more than that."

"Tiims," Juju says in a warning tone. 

"Relax, Juju, it shouldn't be a problem," I say, excited.

Juju huffs and gets into the car. " I'll go with tiims, Juju," Simna says, following me to the vehicle. 

Excitement courses through me. Karaoke with Juju and Simna has always been the best. We jam to pop songs as we drive to the restaurant. Arriving, we get a private room and order a few starters. 

"Here," Simna says as we sit, handing me the paper bag she had been holding.

"What's this?" I ask.

"A wedding gift."

I smile at her. She was so thoughtful. "Aw, Simna, you didn't have to," I say.

She hits my arm, "Of course, I didn't have to. You didn't even tell me."

"I'm sorry," I reply, squeezing her. 

As we wait for the food to arrive, I leave for the bathroom. I was texting Ailah as I walked back absentmindedly. Before hitting send on a text, I trip, and my phone leaps out of my hand and crashes unto the floor.