Chapter 28

I wonder what I look like in your eyes.

-Unknown.

Fatima

I stare at my reflection in the bathroom mirror once more. My complexion was paler than usual, my eyes looked heavy, and strands of hair that had escaped my hairband fell loosely over my face. I turn on the faucet and wet my face once more.

I'd been standing here for over fifteen minutes. I couldn't bring myself to go out and risk seeing him. I didn't need to ask if he was mad at me. I already knew the answer. So when I woke up alone, I was beyond relieved, even more, when I ran to my room without running into him.

I looked a mess and was beyond scared and upset. Too many emotions were swirling through my mind and heart. I didn't know which to start with. Do I curse out my mom and brother, or do I face Ibrahim and deal with the consequences of my actions?

Begrudgingly I hopped in the shower. After taking care of the mess that was my appearance, I put on a loose-fitting Ankara gown and tied up my hair. I tidied up my room and reorganised my makeup. I did everything I had been putting off to distract myself.

By the end of it, my stomach was growling loudly. No matter how much time passes, I would eventually have to come eye to eye with him. So I gave myself a pep talk and went to the kitchen for food. I ate quickly to return to my room, but the universe was not on my side.

He walked in as I was finishing up. I trained my eyes on the marble countertop and refused to move a muscle, hoping he wouldn't notice me by some weird miracle. I flinched in the seat when he dropped something in front of me.

A phone?

"I have yours with me. You'll use this in the meantime. It has all the numbers you should need," he says.

"Okay," I reply with a shaky voice. I wanted to ask why I couldn't have mine back, but the words wouldn't leave my mouth.

"Finish up and meet me outside. We're going to Ammi's," he instructs and exits.

I release a breath I didn't know I was holding. He seemed calm, so I should be okay right? "Keep lying to yourself," my subconscious says.

I quickly head upstairs and grab a veil and a pair of shoes. Then, I go outside and climb into Ibrahim's SUV. The car was silent, too silent. His face was expressionless, and his hand gripped the wheel tightly. Could he sense my fear?

As much as I wanted to avoid talking to him, I had too many questions. How did he find me yesterday? How did Akram know Simna? It's a miracle how I remember chunks of last night despite how shit-faced I was.

I glanced at him. He still looked like he would push me out of the car if I spoke, so I stayed quiet. Finally, we make it to Ammi's house and exit the vehicle.

"Go Ahead. I need to make a phone call," he says, and I walk in.

I'm greeted by Sahura, a maid who informs me that Ammi will be down soon. She then insisted I join her in the kitchen while waiting, so she could teach me how she makes her infamous Kunu. So naturally, I jumped at the opportunity remembering how good it was.

I go ahead while she gets ingredients from the pantry. As I walked into the kitchen, I stopped dead in my tracks. I had come face to face with Akram. He was leaning against a counter with a mug in one hand and his phone in the other. I bowed my head and stared at the floor.

"Ina wuni Ya Akram?" I say.

"Lafiya kalau. How are you?" he responds.

"I'm okay, Alhamdulillah," I reply.

He hums, "That's good to hear."

I fiddle with my fingers. Do I straight-up explain myself? What would be the point? He already saw everything. What explanation could I give?

"You're staring at that floor pretty hard. Are you good?" he asks.

I raise my head and nod. Then, we make eye contact for a split second, and I quickly look back down. Say something and get it over with Fatima, I thought.

"Ya Akram, I'm sorry you had to see me like that yesterday. I promise that is not who I am. Well, I can't say that at this point. I was just distraught yesterday, and I made a bad decision. I made a lot of bad decisions, actually, but-"

"Relax, Fatima. My opinion of you hasn't changed," he says, cutting off my rambling.

"Really?" I ask, lifting my head.

He had an amused look on his face.

"Yes. You're young. It's only natural for you to make mistakes at this age," he responds.

"I'll give you advice, though. Our experiences may differ, but trust me when I say that is not the best way out. Being able to bury your problems deep down within you and forget they exist for hours may sound appealing, but it is not. Instead, take advantage of the people you now have in your life that care for you. And those girls are not the type of friends you should keep," he adds.

He gives me one last smile before walking out. Sahura walks in and begins setting up to make the kunu. She gives me step-by-step instructions as she supervises.

"So this is where you've been. Why didn't you come up?" Ammi says, coming into the kitchen.

"Sahura is teaching me how to make kunu," I respond.

We exchange pleasantries, and she watches as I attempt to recreate the kunu perfectly. We finish up and ask Ammi to taste test it. She says I did well on my first try and encourages me to practice. We move to the living room and talk with Aunty Adama and Aunty Fanna, who were visiting before Ibrahim and Akram made an appearance.

My body stiffens as he sits beside me. "Amarya, are you still shy around your husband?" Aunty Adama teases, and I blush. If only she knew.

"Ibrahim, we're expecting grandkids soon since Maryam is taking her sweet time," Aunty Fanna says.

"Fatima is not ready for that," he replies dryly.

Aunty Adama comes over and sits beside him. "Why are you so gloomy today? Are you sick or upset about something ?" she inquires, patting his head gently.

"None of that. I have a problem to deal with later, and I still haven't figured out the best way," he responds, and I gulp. Of course, he was referring to me.

Ammi, Aunty Fanna and Aunty Adama share a look. Then Aunty Adama glances at me, and I lower my head. Of course, they could tell.

We ate dinner, and everyone went to pray while I stayed back as I was on my period. Aunty Adam came back down before everyone. She plopped down beside me and held open her arms for me. I hugged her, and she gently patted my back.

"Do you want my advice?" she asks, and I nod desperately.

"I don't know what you did. And I won't ask because that's between you two. But go to him before he comes to you. You still have time to turn the tide and find a way to make it all go away." she says.

"Are you telling her to manipulate him, Adama?" Aunty Fanna asks, sitting opposite us.

Aunty Adama makes a face at her, "Of course not. I'm telling her to work her charm and soften everything. It's not manipulation." she responds.

"If you are in the wrong, admit it and apologise. Explain why you believe he is if he is, and he'll apologise. Then, have a mature conversation, no yelling, no talking over each other." Aunty Fanna says.

I sigh. Just thinking about it made my head hurt, but they were right.