Chapter 29

We were too close to the stars.

-The neighbourhood.

Fatima

I tried to take Aunty Adama and Aunty Fanna's advice last night, but Ibrahim had dropped me off at home and gone out again. By the time I slept at about 1:30 AM, he had yet to return. So I decided to try again today. He had gone out early morning and only returned thirty minutes ago.

I have chickened out of talking to him multiple times now. So for the past ten minutes, I've been standing by my door contemplating whether or not I should go to him. Finally, I stepped back from the door and began pacing, chanting encouraging words.

"Fatima,"

I shrieked and turned around. He stood by the door in navy chinos and a white cotton button-up. He had most likely gone to the barbershop because his hair had been cut into a buzzcut, and It looked good on him.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to startle you," he said.

"It's okay. I wasn't scared," I reply.

He raises his right brow. "Really?" he asks, sitting on the bed.

"Yup. Not even a bit scared," I respond, putting a smile on my face. It was a lie. My heart was in my mouth; of course, he could tell.

He gestures for me to come over, and I obey. He pulls me into his lap and rests his hand on my bare thigh. His hand looked large against my body. But, rightfully so, he was built and way taller than me. I would need to be double my weight and at least eight inches taller to be as big as he was.

He moves the loose strands of hair over my face and tucks them behind my ears. I felt at peace in his arms. The fear that had almost consumed me had melted away. Instead, a wave of comfort replaced it.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and rested my head on his chest. I could hear the rapid beats of his heart. Was this speed normal?

He was different from yesterday. His gaze was soft, and his touch loving. Had he figured out how to deal with the problem? Was this the calm before the storm?

I should get some words in first if it was. So I sucked in a breath and let it out. "I'm sorry about yesterday. You trusted me, but I betrayed your trust and broke my promise."

I felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. The guilt I was feeling had shrunk a bit. His face fell, and a sorrowful look replaced the radiant look he previously had on. Had I upset him again with my words?

"Why didn't you come to me?" he asks.

My mouth dried up, and I could only stare at him. He stared back for a few seconds hoping I would answer. When I didn't, he sighed and rubbed his temple.

"I can't help you if you don't talk to me, Bambina. Seeing your brother after all these years was clearly painful. Everything you had to go through must have been unbearable, but you're safe now. I know it's hard to open up and discuss it freely, but I need you to try. All the emotions you're feeling are valid. I understand the need to numb those feelings, but that is not the right way. You're putting yourself in danger," he says, cupping my face and looking directly into my eyes.

I blinked back tears as he spoke. "You are not alone anymore. You do not have to face that monster ever again. Think about how often you've been smiling. Think about all the good things we've experienced, the memories we've made."

I was so ungrateful. It hadn't occurred to me at all. I've been so busy living a good life that I hadn't thought about my father. Nothing about Ibrahim or my new life remotely reminded me of him. He had been pushed down into a dark abyss of my mind, and he hadn't resurfaced till yesterday.