Chapter 8

She was like the moon. Part of her was always hidden away.

- Unknown

Ibrahim

I anxiously paced around the living room as Ammi, and the guys watched me. I was too restless to sit. Was I too impulsive? How would she react?

"You need to relax", Ammi says, motioning for me to sit beside her.

I plop beside her, and she rubs soothing circles on my back. 

"You're doing a very noble thing, bro," Bukar says.

"Yeah, you just need to relax. Be nice and express your intentions," Hud advices.

"Tell her exactly why you're doing this and show your sincerity. You're amazing, and by the grace of God, you both won't regret this decision," Ammi states, and I give her an appreciative smile.

Ammi excuses herself and heads upstairs.

"You're admirable, Ibrahim," Jafar says, looking up from his plate. 

"And handsome," Akram says, wiggling his eyebrows.

I laugh at his antics.

"Give this to her," Ammi says, returning to the room. 

I opened the blue box, and in sat a platinum ring with a full round of circle diamonds. It was a beautiful ring, simple yet eye-catching.

"It's beautiful," I tell her, still examining the ring.

"When did you have time to get this?" Akram asks, hovering over my shoulder. 

"I've had it prepared for a while, and I have one for each of you", She answers.

"Isn't that extreme?" Akram follows up, and Ammi scoffs.

"Anyway, when the wedding date is set, we'll call my jewellers and design another ring together. Then, hopefully, it can be shipped to Nigeria quickly." Ammi says.

"But if it's over 10 carats, it'll probably take more time to make, so we best just call tonight and get a head start," She adds. 

"She hasn't even agreed to it yet, Ammi," Hud says. 

"Well, it's not like her father is going to let her say no," Jafar says.

"But if she does say no, Ibrahim wouldn't go through with it", Bukar replies. 

"Kai! you guys should stop with all this negative stuff. Everything will go smoothly InshaAllah," Ammi says, ending the conversation. 

"You should leave now if you want to make it there at 6," Akram says.

I nod and rise from the couch. Ammi fixes my cap and smoothens my black Kaftan. She then reaches for a bottle of amber nuit she conveniently had on the end table and spritzes it all over me.

"This is one for the books," Jafar says, taking pictures. 

"Gaskiya, you look good," Hud says, pulling out his phone for pictures. 

"The outfit says I'm accomplished and mature, so let me marry your daughter," Akram says. 

"Oh my god, I almost forgot. Akram, go get the white paper bags I left in my room, please," Ammi instructs, and he runs off.

Akram returns and hands the bags over to me. 

She says these two are for her, pointing to the two largest ones. This little one is for her father, and the last is for her mother.