Chapter 33

Now I see why the universe made me wait.

-A.F.D

Fatima

Friendships— something I've never really given much thought to until now. Never have I taken time to evaluate my platonic relationships. Until a year ago, I believed the friends I kept cared for me. A part of me still does.

They influenced my actions, but I always had a choice. It was my choice whenever I gave in to my urge to slip into the familiar abyss that temporarily whisked me away from reality. I had no one to blame but myself. 

The girls made me question all of that, though. They were easily the sweetest friends a girl could ask for. Aside from Ibrahim's, their company is what I desired the most. We've been having the best time, and although I had moved forward, I still had one last thing to resolve, so I contacted Juju. I grit my teeth in annoyance every time I recall our conversation.

Me: Juju.

J: Hey, Tiims.

Me: How are you?

J: I'm doing well. What about you? It's been over a year.

Me: Yeah. I'm good as well.

It was definitely awkward. It was as if we had never been friends. I guessed this is how it turns out when you go a year without communication.

J: I should apologise.

Me: You don't have to. I put myself in that situation.

J: No. I should apologise for that day and for lying to you.

Me: Lying?

J: Yes. It appeared to be the easiest way to help you at the time. I shouldn't have done it because it could have gone horribly wrong. It worked out well, but I'm still very sorry.

Her words confused me. I didn't understand what she was getting at.

Me: Are you talking about texting Ibrahim? Or something else.

J: I'm talking about telling your dad. I couldn't stop you from using, so I did the next best thing I could think of. I sent him the pictures anonymously. It was a stupid thing to do-

Me: You told my dad? Couldn't you think of anything else? Maybe telling my mom? Or my uncle? Or speak to me? None of that occurred to you? Were you trying to ruin my already miserable life?

J: No Tiims. I wanted you to be out of that environment. It seemed the fastest way. Besides, it worked out. You have a great life now. So why does it matter anymore?

Me: That's your excuse? Fuck off.

I ended the call abruptly and tossed the phone aside. Did she care and want to help me or ruin my life? It was exhausting to think about. I didn't want to care or be angry. As she said, it worked out, and now was not the time to be upset. But my mind had different plans. It worked overtime thinking about it and Imam's visit today. 

I'd been so worked up over it that even the sight of Ibrahim in a tight-fitting shirt couldn't take my mind off it. Heck, I'd even killed a succulent because of it. My poor child had absorbed all my negative energy and eventually wilted.

Ibrahim

I sat with arms folded over my chest and a stern face. The room was as silent as a graveyard and thick with tension. Fatima's brother sat across from me, head pointed towards the ground. Earlier, Ammi informed me that he wanted to visit Fatima, and I initially declined. But she insisted I let Fatima decide. Begrudgingly I allowed him into my home.

Fortunately, I was in uniform today and hadn't given him the warmest welcome. After a quick exchange of pleasantries, he grew quiet and sat on the edge of the loveseat, knees pressed together and eyes trained on the floor. He did not attempt to make conversation or get comfortable.

I wanted it to be a different way, but I still wanted her to get closure. I wanted this to be a happy occasion for her—something to celebrate. And I sure didn't want my brother-in-law to be scared shitless of me. I didn't need to ask if he was fearful of me. His body language said it all. My stern and intimidating appearance didn't help the situation either. 

But, all that was something to worry about later as Fatima was taking some time to come down, so I excused myself and went up to get her. I found her bent over the window sill, petting one of her dead succulents— weird. She was a terrible plant mom, but I still bought her more each time they died.

"Petting it won't bring it back from the dead," I say, positioning myself beside her. 

She hums lowly. 

"You're stalling, aren't you?" 

She pouts and turns her head, "Why do you know me so well?" 

"Because of situations like this," I reply, cupping her face. "You can't avoid this much longer. But If you would like, I can tell him to leave." 

She shakes her head. "No. I'll talk to him. I'll be okay."

"And if you're not?" I ask, hoping for the correct answer. 

"I'll come straight to you," she answers with a smile. 

"Good girl. It would be best if you go now. You've kept him for far too long," I reply, kissing her cheek.

She nods. "I won't be long," she says and heads out. 

I sigh and plop down on the ottoman to unlace my boots. I'm surprised she didn't kick me out for stepping on her carpet with them. As I hunch over, the door creaks open, and she pops her head in. 

"I forgot to tell you that you look terrific in your uniform," she admits with a cheeky grin. She gave me no time to react or respond before shutting the door and running off. 

I smile as I hear the thuds she makes as she runs. She was the most adorable little thing. After unlacing and kicking off my boots, I head to the bathroom for a quick wash. After which, I offered my Maghreb prayer and dressed in pyjama bottoms. 

Some time passed, and I assumed everything was going well since I hadn't heard Fatima screaming at the top of her lungs. After Isha'a prayer, I got into bed whilst I waited for her. Soon she appears and rips off the hijab, then heads into the bathroom. 

She emerges and offers her prayers before getting in beside me. She snuggles into me, and I press a kiss to her temple. 

"All good?" I ask. 

"Mhm. All good," she responds. 

"I'm happy to hear that." 

"I'm happy to say it." 

_-_-_

I'm sorry for not updating. My graduation is in a few weeks, and I'm freaking out and super busy. I also found a stray kitten some days back and got it to a shelter with the help of a few friends. (Random information no one asked for!)

Bye!