Chapter 9

She didn't want love, she wanted to be loved. And that was entirely different.

-Atticus

Fatima

Who could have my mother this excited? This was strange.

Just last night, she had almost fought my father over this, and now she's making me change my clothes because a ninety thousand Naira atamfa-lace was too cheap to be worn in front of this douche.

I thought, " let's just get this over with", as I arrived in front of the parlour. So I sucked in a breath and entered.

I muttered a salam and sat on the opposite chair. My eyes had been trained on the ground.

I hadn't allowed myself the pleasure of knowing who this loser was just yet. His shoes were the only thing in my line of sight.

Izmir sandals, how typical for a Nigerian man. His toes were perfectly manicured and shiny. His toes gave away the fact that he was very light-skinned.

"Hello," he says, breaking the silence. 

Had I been staring at his feet for too long? He probably thinks I'm weird now.

I slowly pick my head up to look at him.

Him?

I wasn't hallucinating. I'd seen him before. His features were too sharp to forget. He had a sharp jaw and a strong nose, his eyes a warm brown colour and his lips full and pink.

He was strikingly handsome. His Kaftan was clean and crisp, and his scent overpowered mine. Whatever perfume he was wearing smelt impeccable.

He was aunty Amina's nephew. That's why my mother was excited.

Had she planned for him to replace whoever was meant to be here today?

"Did my mother put you up to this?" I ask brazenly.

"No", he answered.

"So you're doing my father's bidding?" I asked.

"To be frank, Fatima, I'm not too keen on your father," he replied.

No one had ever been that straightforward with me before. This guy has balls.

"Why then?" I asked yet another question.

"Because I want to", was his response.

I laughed. What is this guy's deal?

"You agreed to marry a stranger just like that?" I asked.

"I see you like questions. I'll try and remember that. Yes, I did," he responds.

"You must be insane", I state.

"Another thing I'm not too keen on is impertinence. Please watch your language," he says.

I feel the bold part of me take a seat. He had a baritone voice and spoke with such calmness it made it a hundred times scarier.

I regained my composure after being in a state of daze. His posture was perfect, and his gaze never faltered.

He was clearly a very confident person. Even if he was nervous, he wasn't letting it show.

"Are you doing this out of pity?" I asked.

"No. I don't pity you. You deserve to be happy, and I have the means to provide you with that. The opportunity presented itself, and I took it. Besides, you're gorgeous, so I don't mind," he answered.

I felt my cheeks heat up. They were probably crimson, and he could see that since he smirked. On days like this, I wish I wasn't light-skinned.

"Let's use this time to get to know each other. It'll make this easier," he stated.