Chapter 5

When is a monster not a monster?

-Unknown

Fatima

I'm not asking for complete happiness, just a little less pain. That's what the drugs gave me, an escape, a little less suffering. Oddly, I found comfort in the heavy feeling of emptiness.

I don't know how long I've been cooped up in my house or how many weeks of school I've missed. I haven't done much besides speaking to my mom and uncle.

I didn't have it in me to do anything. Pray, eat, sleep, and then repeat. That has become my routine.

But today, Juju had convinced me to come along to some girl named Adama's birthday party in London.

I cleaned up my house before hopping into the shower. I put on light makeup and put my hair into a sleek high ponytail.

She didn't tell me the theme, so I assumed there wasn't one and began picking my outfit. First, I paired a Miaou corset top with Mugler jeans. Next, I put on my aquazzura heels and added chaumet accessories.

I looked good enough to eat. I grabbed my bag and jacket and then headed to the train station. Juju and Simna were waiting by the barriers, and we hopped on the train.

"Where's Rabi?" I asked.

"At the library, she's set on graduating this year", Simna responds.

Simna and Rabi are much older than Juju and me. I don't know the exact story, but they started university again and are now in their final year with us. 

We finally made it to the party. It was at a house in Edgware, and it was packed. Did the birthday girl know this many people?

"You guys made it", a girl exclaimed, rushing over to us.

She hugged Juju and simna before turning to me.

"Adama, this is Fatima", Simna says.

"She's been locked in her house for weeks, so we decided to get her out", Juju exclaims.

"Hi, I'm Adama", she says, extending her hand, a smile plastered on her face.

"It's nice to meet you, and happy birthday", I say, smiling awkwardly.

She was awfully nice to someone who had crashed her party. But judging by the number of people here, there were other uninvited guests.

"Thank you, and you look beautiful. I love me a pretty girl", she says, raking over my body.

"Relax, Adama", Juju says, pulling her away.

"Amira", she yells at a girl who has just walked in.

"Enjoy the party", she says, walking away towards the girl.

I was ready to call it a night two hours into the party. I said my goodbyes to Simna and Juju before making my way out.

I couldn't get a train back at this ungodly hour, so I decided to check into a hotel. I got a room at Hilton and texted Simna and Juju the details in case they also needed a place to stay for the night.

I quickly changed into a bathrobe and got into bed. I scrolled through my phone for a while before sleep overcame me.

I was awakened at some point by Juju and Simna. I let them in and then got straight back into bed. I could hear them fumbling around the room before getting into bed.

Juju clung to me and rested her head on my back. She's always been the cuddling type.

Ibrahim