Chapter 21

Fear it or control it.

- Unknown.

Fatima

Ibrahim had kept to his word. A whole week has gone by since I last set eyes on him. There were no traces of him around the house either. However, there would always be a washed plate whenever I went down to eat, indicating he was around somewhere. 

I was bored out of my mind. Juju has returned to school and is working on her final projects, so she barely had time to talk. Ailah and Hudayya had stopped by yesterday to say their goodbye, also. Everyone I could hang out with was gone. 

I kept myself occupied with schoolwork but quickly grew bored after a few hours. I still had a few months before my dissertation was due but I wanted a head start, so I've been hard at work. 

About a thousand five hundred words more, and I would be able to start proofreading and editing. Then I would begin studying for any assessments. 

I groaned and threw the TV remote into the adjacent loveseat. I'd scrolled through all the streaming apps and couldn't find a show. Slumping back into the chair, I released a sigh. 

My phone buzzed, and I jolted from excitement, finally someone to talk to. 

Me: Mama.

Mama: Fatima. How are you and your husband?

I cringe.

Me: We're good. How are you doing?

Mama: I'm doing very well. I'm packing right now. 

Me: Are you moving out?

Mama: Yes. I asked your father for a divorce. As usual, he was hard-headed and said no. So I called your grandfather and asked him for a favour. 

Me: You called grandpa?

Mama: Yes. It was hard, but I needed him to tell your father to divorce me.

Me: So what did he say?

Mama: He said I should come home. 

Me: Home? To Borno?

Mama: Yes.

Me: Wow. After all these years?

Mama: I was just as shocked. Maybe it was my imagination, but I could have sworn I heard the excitement in his voice.

Me: Are you okay facing him and grandma, though?

Mama: I have to be. Disobeying them led me here. As much as you and Imam are a blessing, I sometimes wish I hadn't gotten you involved. 

Did she mean she wished she hadn't had us? This confused me. Months back, she had said the opposite.

Me: oh...

Mama: No. Please don't misunderstand me. I'm happy I had you both. I really am. But if I had a chance to change things, I would have spared you both the pain. 

Me: I understand. 

I didn't.

Mama: I have a flight to catch. I'll call when your uncle and I arrive, and maybe you could speak to your grandparents. 

Me: I don't think I'd be up for that. Have a safe trip. 

I haven't spoken to them since I was little. My mother would call to get them to talk to us, but they'd only say a few words and hang up.