~3~

"Okay guys." Davenport said to the five us. It was around six thirty and we all were circled around the counter in the lab, getting Adam, Bree, and Chase prepped for their first official day at school. "You have been trained for all kinds of missions but you are about to enter a soul-bruising, confidence-crushing apocalyptic environment: High School. Adam, Bree, your glitch test results are fairly stable." He told the three bionic teens to his right.

"Yes! I'm going to school!" Bree cheered.

"I'm fairly stable!" Adam exclaimed excitedly.

"But, Chase, I am still concerned about our commando app." Davenport told Chase as I have them a confused look.

"Commando app? Put on some underpants. We're going to school." Leo said, clearly thinking the same thing I was.

"No, see, in the face of an imminent threat, Chases commando app kicks in and he becomes a fearless brute I like to call spike." Davenport told us, shaking Chase by his shoulders. I couldn't help but think about Chase turning into spike, wondering what his alter ego would be like. "It's kinda like a fight-or-flight thing, except I took the flight part out, cause, useless. And I replaced it with a testosterone level of like a Tasmanian devil-wolverine-shark-lion hybrid that's mad." He explained to us, using a lot of hand gestures.

"I would love to see that." I told Leo and he nodded in agreement.

"Don't worry, Mr. Davenport. I promise that Spike won't rear his ugly head." Chase assured Davenport but he didn't look convinced.

"Oh, yea? You mean like last Christmas when I made the mistake of giving Adam boxing gloves?" Davenport asked and Adam shivered.

"Ugh. I'm still coughing up tinsel." Adam said and blew out a breath.

"You know, letting Chase go to school, isn't such a good idea. I can't risk Spike coming out."

"Oh, come on big D." Leo and I followed Davenport when he tried to walk away. "Chase has to come. With these guys I'll finally get a prime spot in the cafeteria. That's right, y'all. Put on your coats cause I'm about to ride your tail!" Leo said and started to pretend he was riding a horse. I cringed at him.

"Yea, Davenport, who's going to bother me in english class if he doesn't come?" I said, smiling at Chase when he rolled his eyes.

"Don't worry. We'll make sure he stays out of trouble, right guys?" Adam asked us and I nodded.

"Yea. It's all for one and one for all. Unless, of course, you guys make me look bad, in which case, I am dropping you lame-0s." She explained and then looked at me. "Oh, not you Annie." She smiled and I did the same, happy I finally had a girl friend.

"Mr. Davenport, I can't miss school. This is the beginning of my academic achievements and career trajectory. I mean, the road to Astronaut lawyer has to start somewhere." I laughed at the abnormal career choice and Chase gave me a look.

"Okay." Davenport gave in and we all smiled. "But I better not get a call from the art teacher saying that Spike ripped out her larynx. Actually, she wouldn't be able to say anything, because, Spike ripped out her lar- look the point is just keep him out of trouble." He told us and Adam walked over.

"Hey, look what I found." He said holding up his hands that were covered by red boxing gloves. He began to punch the air but accidentally punched Chase, making him fall to the ground. Adam quickly grabbed Bree and moved behind her. We all looked at Adam in shock and Leo laughed hysterically. "Look, I'm sorry, but if he's that close to the gloves, it's gonna happen." He explained while Chase got up.

***

School with three bionic friends was going way smoother than I had expected, even though we hadn't even attended class. I figured we'd only make it to the front doors before something went wrong. Now for Leo's favorite time of the day. Breakfast. I wasn't sure how much this kid could eat and still be the tiniest person I'd ever met.