Madeline

Fandom: Reign

Madeline was kidnapped by pagans when she was young. They tried to use her as a sacrifice, slitting her throat, but, before they could string her up, a wild animal attacked, attracted by the blood. The creature dragged Madeline away to escape the pagans. It made it to the edge of the woods, where Sebastian, the young, bastard son of King Henry, sees them and chases the beast off.

He rushes her back to the castle where Nostradamus tends to her wounds and fights to save her from bleeding out. She recovers, but the cut on her throat severed her vocal cords, leaving her completely mute.

Sebastian and Nostradamus convince Henry to give her a position among the servants.

She continues to stay with Nostradamus as she adjusts and learns to communicate using hand signals and writing notes. Nostradamus and Sebastian are the only ones in the castle who really try to understand her.

When Mary returns to Court, she notices Madeline and tries to talk to her, confused and mildly offended when the girl gives a hasty gesture and walks away.

Sebastian explains her injury and how she communicates. Mary then attempts to understand and befriend Madeline.

Again, I'm not sure what purpose this character serves in the story, but I thought it was an interesting idea. 😅