Chapter Eighteen

"JJ, at least take a couple of bites," Emily sighed, picking up the plate and putting it in her lap. "I'm not hungry," JJ responded.

Today was the morning after they got home, and she was still sick and tired. "You have to eat. If you want something else, I can make it for you, but you have to eat something." Emily picked up half the grilled cheese sandwich and put it in JJ's hand.

JJ stared at it for a long time. Eventually, she stuck a piece in her mouth and swallowed it.

"Was that so bad?" Emily asked. "Yes." She nodded, taking another bite. She ate the rest of the half, but that was it. Emily decided not to push it any further.

Emily climbed into bed next to her and pulled her close. She kissed her forehead to check her temperature, which was still warm. "How do you feel?" she asked, running a hand through JJ's hair.

"Fine," JJ said, leaning into Emily's side. "I want to get up."

"I know, but you're on bed rest. That means you're not allowed to get up," Emily told her. "It's stupid. I want to get up. I want to go back to work. I hate this," JJ complained.

"You couldn't go to work anyways. You're sick. You'll be allowed to go back to work in 2 weeks. You'll be fine," said Emily. She noticed the cold feeling of JJ's skin against her. "How come you're not wearing pants?" she asked.

"I don't like them. My stupid fat stomach won't fit in them anymore," JJ groaned. Emily laughed, running a hand over JJ's belly. "Your 'stupid fat stomach' is carrying your child. You need maternity clothes. I don't know if you've forgotten, but you're pregnant. You're supposed to get bigger."

"I hate being pregnant," JJ replied. "It's going to be worth it, okay? It's only 4 more months until the baby gets here," said Emily. She tilted up her face and kissed her.

"You can't kiss me. I'm sick. I'll get you sick," JJ said, pushing her away. Emily just kissed her again. "I don't get sick. I wouldn't care even if I did. Kissing you is worth it," she said. "Also, if you were going to get me sick I think it would've happened when you threw up all over me this morning."

"Sorry," she murmured, burying her face down in Emily's shoulder. Emily laughed, "It's okay." She kissed her head. "I love you."

"Emily?" JJ sat up and looked at her now. "Yeah?"

"What do we name the baby?"

Emily hesitated for a moment. They'd bounced around a few ideas but never seriously discussed it. "I don't know," she admitted. "Any ideas?"

"I can't think of anything," said JJ. "And the baby is coming soon so if I don't think of one the baby isn't going to have a name!"

Emily smiled at how nervous she was. "You've still got time. We'll figure something out. You don't have to stress out about it, just try to remember if you ever hear one you like."

"What about the nursery? It only has a crib! The baby doesn't have anything else. The baby needs stuff!" she exasperated.

"We will get everything done before the baby gets here. We have months," Emily assured her. Now that she was on bedrest it gave her plenty of time to worry about everything.

Luckily, Emily had learned exactly how to deal with her when it came to this sort of thing. "I know you can't get up, but how about you start looking on your laptop for stuff? Paint colors for the nursery, baby clothes, strollers, whatever. It's a start."

JJ nodded and pulled out her laptop. Emily left because she had some work to finish up. That left JJ alone with her thoughts for a while. Although her mind often drifted back to Thomas and that basement, looking through stuff for the baby helped distract her.