Chapter Nine

"JJ, there's not that many to choose from. Just pick one!" Emily urged, watching JJ stare at the cribs on display across the store aisle.

"I can't decide!" JJ argued. "This is a critical decision. The baby's going to sleep in this crib for years. I have to pick the right one."

The two had been standing in the store for nearly half an hour but JJ was incredibly indecisive. "Let's narrow it down," Emily suggested, hoping to move things along. "You know which color you want, right?"

"White," JJ said confidently. That was one thing she had decided on. "Alright, white." Emily nodded and started to examine the white cribs. "How about this one?" She pointed to the first one her eyes landed on.

"No." JJ shook her head, looking at it for just less than a second. "I don't like the backboard." Emily didn't argue with her, deciding to just move on to the next option. "That one?" She pointed out another one, but to be honest they all looked exactly the same to her.

"I don't like the drawers," JJ said, crossing her arms. Emily was on the verge of giving up because it didn't seem like they were getting anything today.

"What about that?" She pointed to a third crib. She was sure JJ would reject it but she still wanted to try.

"I don't like the color," JJ sighed. Emily smacked her forehead with her palm. "It's white! They're all the same color!"

"No, this one's a different shade of white. You're crazy to think they're the "same" color." JJ rolled her eyes.

Emily wrapped her arms around JJ's waist, pulling her close and kissing her lips. "I love you. But you are most definitely the crazy one in this situation," she said, laughing. "I just want it to be perfect. The baby has to like it," JJ told her.

"It will be perfect. Whatever you pick will be perfect. The baby is a baby. It won't care what color its crib is and it will probably prefer to sleep on you anyways," Emily said. JJ totally lost focus from the conversation when she spotted a crib all the way at the end of the aisle.

She walked closer to get a better look at it. It was white, the right shade of white. It was simple and plain, but JJ loved it. She planned to decorate the nursery with lots of bright colors whether the baby was a boy or a girl, so the crib had to be simple enough to match.

"What about this one!" JJ asked excitedly, turning to Emily. Emily didn't even have to look at it before answering. "I love it. Let's get it," she said, smiling.

___

"Emily!" JJ sang out, wandering down the hall of the apartment to find her. It was nearly midnight and she hadn't come to bed yet. "In here!" she called from the guestroom. JJ walked in and saw her sitting on the floor.

They had cleared out the stuff in the guestroom for the baby because it didn't ever get used. There was just a bed and a desk. Emily's apartment also had an office that had a bed that someone could sleep on if necessary.

The room was actually not empty anymore, it had one thing. The giant box for the crib and all its pieces laid out on the floor. Emily was sitting next to them with the instructions in her hands.

JJ sat down on the floor next to her, taking the paper packet out of her hands. "You should go to sleep," she said. "You go. I'll be there in a minute," Emily said, picking up the instructions again.

When she saw that JJ hadn't moved she looked up again. "Five minutes. I promise," she said, placing a gentle kiss on the top of JJ's head. "I love you."

JJ sighed and reluctantly got up. She went to their room and crawled into bed. She didn't want to fall asleep because she wanted to know that Emily had kept her promise.