Chapter Eleven

Emily got back to the apartment at about 7 pm, not much later than JJ did. Since nobody had seen who was in the office with her, Emily had talked to Hotch after JJ stormed out.

All he told her was that JJ's mom at shown up and apparently they don't get along. As soon as he told her who it was she knew that it wasn't good. How annoyed JJ was getting with the phone calls must be nothing to actually having to face her mom in person.

Emily set her stuff down and walked down the hallway to find JJ. She heard the water running in the shower.

She went into the bedroom and saw JJ's stuff, meaning she had definitely come home. "JJ?" She knocked gently on the door to the bathroom but spoke loud enough to be heard over the shower. "Are you okay?"

When she heard nothing in response, she grabbed a pin and popped the lock on the door open. She'd never picked the lock before but the state JJ was in when she left the BAU was too worrying. She needed to make sure she was okay.

Sure enough, when Emily opened the door she saw JJ sitting on the shower floor with her knees pulled to her chest. Emily had no idea how long she'd been sitting there but the water was now running cold.

She turned off the shower quickly. With the noise from the water gone, she could now hear JJ's soft sobbing.

Emily stepped into the shower, sitting behind JJ and wrapping her arms tightly around her. Her skin was freezing to the touch. Emily's clothes were now getting soaked in water but she didn't care.

"Jennifer," she whispered. "I love you." She gently rocked them back and forth. Even though JJ was too upset to think, the way Emily said her name was soothing.

"I love you," Emily repeated, pressing soft kisses behind her ear. "I love you." She felt like she couldn't say the three words enough times in her life to show how much JJ meant to her.

JJ buried her face in Emily's shoulder, unable to stop the crying. For the first time in her life, nobody was trying to. She'd never been able to let a single tear fall without being shouted at. By her mother, her stepfather, even Will.

But Emily didn't do that. She didn't tell her to stop crying, she was barely even phased by it. She just sat there and held her.

"Emily?" JJ finally spoke after about 10 minutes of them sitting there in silence. "Yeah?" she asked. "I love you too," JJ told her.

"You want to get up now?" Emily ran her fingers through JJ's hair. She nodded, feeling like she would no longer fall over if she tried to stand.

Emily grabbed a towel and held it around JJ. They both stood up and got out of the bathroom. JJ changed into pajamas and Emily stripped out of her wet work clothes and changed into something more comfortable.

JJ laid down in bed, pulling the covers over her and resting her face down in the pillow. "JJ, you have to eat dinner," Emily said, sitting on the edge of the bed beside her.

"I'm not hungry," she said without moving. "I want to go to sleep."

"You might not be hungry, but the baby is. What do you want to eat?" Emily asked. This was always her way of coaxing JJ into eating because she never felt like it.

"The baby wants to sleep," JJ groaned. "The baby needs food or it won't grow properly and it'll end up with a deformed body. Is that what you want?" Emily said.

"If anyone is going to have a baby with 2 heads and 5 arms it would be me," JJ mumbled. "That's not going to happen. But you've got to eat," Emily sighed. "What about mac and cheese?"

JJ didn't answer but she didn't object to it, which Emily took as a yes. She turned on the tv and put on Modern Family because it usually interested JJ enough to stay awake for a few minutes.