Chapter Ten

Today was Sunday morning which was one of the only days JJ and Emily got to sleep in.

When JJ woke up she glanced at the time and saw it was already 9 am. The first thing she noticed was that Emily wasn't next to her in bed.

She immediately thought back to what had happened in the middle of the night, all the yelling and the way they'd fought. She started to get upset again, thinking Emily had left because she was mad at her.

She got out of bed and wandered around the apartment to see if she was still there. JJ found her sitting on the floor of the nursery.

She walked inside and saw the crib that was now fully built. "Hey," Emily smiled, turning when she saw JJ appear in the doorway.

JJ didn't say anything, slightly surprised by how happy Emily was acting. She didn't seem mad at her at all.

Emily pulled JJ down and into her lap to admire the crib. "Looks great, don't you think?" She asked, kissing her hairline.

JJ nodded, feeling herself relax again from being held in Emily's arms.

"You okay?" Emily asked, noticing JJ's quietness. "Yeah," she said, resting her head in the crook of Emily's neck. "Just tired."

"We've got Monday off next week," Emily reminded her. "Anything you want to do?"

JJ shrugged, not in the mood to do anything. "Not really," she said softly. "What about you?" She played with a loose strand of Emily's hair, twirling it between her fingers. JJ's nervous habit of twirling her own hair turned onto Emily whenever she was close enough.

"I wanted to take you somewhere if you didn't have something else in mind," Emily told her, smiling as JJ fiddled with her hair. She thought it was cute.

"Where?" she asked, looking up. "Surprise. I think you'll like it," Emily said, resting her hand on JJ's lower back. "I want to know," she complained.

"If I told you, that would defeat the purpose of a surprise," she laughed. JJ rolled her eyes but didn't fight it any further. She wasn't a huge fan of surprises, mostly because she didn't trust them. But she had enough trust in Emily to let this one go.

"Let's go get you some food," Emily said, standing up and pulling JJ with her. They walked to the kitchen together and Emily forced JJ to sit down while she cooked. She made blueberry pancakes, JJ's favorite.

They sat at the counter and ate together, Emily still battling her caffeine addiction in support of JJ. She would occasionally get some at the coffee shop, or make it when JJ wasn't home. The main point was to not drink it in front of her.

As they were eating JJ's phone lit up with a call. They both saw the contact name before JJ quickly flipped it over.

"You think she'll stop calling?" Emily asked, staring at the phone. "I don't know. I blocked the number but she just gets a new one. If she knew where I lived she'd probably come banging down the door," JJ sighed, placing one hand over her belly.

Her mother was the second least person she'd want in her baby's life, aside from Will, of course. JJ's one main goal while raising her kid was to be the exact opposite of how her mom was. She wanted her baby to feel loved and safe, and she never wanted them to experience what she had.

"What are you going to do?" asked Emily. She didn't want to suggest anything because it seemed like JJ had already made up her mind about the situation.

"I'm not going to do anything," JJ replied. "I'll keep ignoring the calls and she'll have to stop eventually."

Emily nodded, not bothering to disagree. She grabbed JJ's hand and kissed it gently. "I love you," she said softly. JJ smiled, squeezing Emily's hand.