𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄 - 𝐁𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐨𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫

༻✦༺༻✦༺༻✦༺

 Peeta and Katniss wondered how Jabberjays could get a sound recording of Prim, Gale, and the rest of them if they weren't being tortured.

Koa and Finnick however weren't interested in the conversation. Koa held onto Finnick, silent sobs escaped his lips that only she could hear, and she hugged him tighter. He still had his head buried into her neck until he pulled his head away.

"The thought of you being tortured." Finnick's voice got caught in his throat, and he shook his head, some more tears coming from his eyes, which she gently wiped away.

"Hey, no, it's okay." Koa guided his face to look back at her after he lost eye contact to somewhere else in the jungle. 

"I'm sorry." Finnick whispered. "I shouldn't have raised my voice at you. I was just worried." 

"You don't need to be worried, I can fight on my own." Kekoa gave him a broken side smile, and he shook his head.

"I know, but seeing you lie on the ground. The thought of losing you, Koa. I can't deal with that." His voice broke, and Koa sighed. 

"The whole country admires your sister," Johanna spoke, making Koa turn to see what was going on now. "If they killed her," Johanna had a breathy laugh escape her throat. "Forget the districts, there would be a whole uprising in the Capitol." 

"How does that sound Snow? How about we start a fire in your backyard!" Johanna shouted at the sky, waving her axe around, making Beetee next to her take a few steps back and giving her a few side glances.

Koa looked up, noticing it was getting dark, and she knew everyone else including herself didn't want to spend another second in the jungle.

"Sun is setting, maybe we should go," Koa spoke up, Finnick let go of her as she stood up. Koa didn't waste any time picking up her spear in her free hand and walking out of the jungle, Finnick willingly following her lead from behind.

They arrived back on the beach, Johanna and Beetee decided to get water this time, while Peeta continued looking at the leaf he was writing on and the arena, trying to distinguish the times. When the two returned with some water in baskets for everyone, they all immediately downed it all, getting some strength back.

Koa noticed a few small bugs crawling around on Finnick and herself, so she silently took his arm and lead him down to the beach. Johanna looked at the two, wishing they could just get their shit together.

Stepping into the water, Koa turned around, grabbing his other hand, holding both of them. She looked up at him, smiling, but he looked down at her confused. She pulled him forward so their bodies were touching, then wrapped her hands around his torso, leaning back.

"Koa, no!"

Finnick spoke a bit late, since the two were now under water. They both came back up just a few seconds later, both swimming around in the water, Koa smiled, splashing him a few times cheering him up. He dove under water and she saw him swimming towards her, then both her feet were grabbed and she was pulled under. 

When both of them emerged, Kekoa's smile fell slightly, and Finnick  took a step towards her, his hands reached out to lay on her waist, but he pulled them back.

"I'm sorry we fought." Koa frowned, looking slightly down at the water.

"It isn't your fault, Koa." Finnick gently grabbed one of her hands with his, holding it and rubbing the back of it. 

"But it is!" The two made eye contact, and Finnick's eyes filled with sadness. "If I was raised differently, or maybe stood up to my parents more, I wouldn't be a cold-hearted killer."