Chapter 22

"Okay, so her vitals are good. Everything looks good. Just make sure to keep cleaning that cut on your jaw at least two times a day or it could get infected." Bruce makes your diagnosis, looking at the computer that reads all of your vitals and bodily functions.

You nod your head, still visibly upset about what happened on Asgard. Bucky stands next to you, holding your hand, as you are sitting down on the medical table. Tears begin to roll down your cheek, and Bucky notices. "Bruce, could you give us a minute?" Bucky asked him politely. Bruce simply nodded and exited the lab.

Bucky turns his body to face you, and cups both of your cheeks while rubbing away your tears with his thumbs. "Baby, it wasn't your fault."

You nod your head knowingly, "I know...I just-" You pause, trying to figure out how to voice your thoughts.

"Just what, Doll?" Bucky looks at you expectantly.

You heave a sad sigh, "I don't know. I can't help but feel like I shouldn't have stabbed him. I know I got too angry. Maybe we should increase the voltage again on my ring." You say, looking down to fiddle with your ring.

Bucky shakes his head, "You were defending yourself. You didn't do anything wrong. If it was me, I would've killed him." He scoffs, being completely honest. "The fact that you even feel bad for hurting him says everything. Your response was completely appropriate given the circumstances. We don't need to increase the voltage."

Your lips curve slightly at his words, already feeling a lot better after this conversation. "Okay." You say softly.

Bucky smiles and leans in to kiss you on your lips softly. "I am never losing you again."

"You won't." You smile and kiss him again, but more passionately. Your lips mold together perfectly and move synchronously. You moan lightly at his kiss, and he pulled away smirking.

"God, I am so in love with you." He says, looking into your eyes as if he could see into your soul.

You giggled at his words and then grabbed his hands. "I love you too, James."

•••

*Bucky Pov*

It's been about a week since the incident on Asgard, and I haven't left her side since. I'm slightly worried that I might be smothering her, but I just want to keep her safe. I can't let her out of my sight again; not after what happened a week ago.

I can't stop bouncing my knee in the conference room during a mission recap because y/n is upstairs with Wanda planning for our wedding, which is in a couple weeks. I'm not supposed to bother them because some of it is a surprise. But I just can't stand not being with her. It's like I can't breathe not knowing if she's okay or not. I know she's with Wanda, and that she's also capable of taking care of herself, but I just can't help but imagine the worst case scenario.

I feel Steve's hand on my shoulder, and turn to see him give me a sympathetic look. He knows that I blame myself for what happened to y/n. I failed at protecting her. But he always reminds me that it wasn't my fault, and I understand where he's coming from, but who am I if I can't protect the love of my life? Do I deserve her? Does she understand what she's getting herself into by marrying me? I can't help but let those thoughts ruminate in my head.

"That's it guys, meeting dismissed." Tony says, closing all of his folders and sending us on our way.

I get up to make my way to the gym to let off some steam when I see Wanda walk out the elevator...by herself.

I quickly sprint towards the red head, who seems completely unaware of the dangers my girl could be in right now. "Wanda?" I look at her with confusion.