Chapter One

Friday, April 14th, 1998.

I checked the date off on my calendar as I got ready, excitement filling every part of my body. Today is my first day down at the station where I will be trained under the detective himself! I could hardly sleep last night. I decided to wear a plain blue polo shirt with denim jeans, quickly grabbing my college letterman. Right when I was about to leave, I realized my phone wasn't in its designated pocket. With an annoyed sigh, I made my way back up the stairs and searched around my desk. I eventually pulled open the first drawer where I saw it. I picked it up and quickly placed it in my pocket, ignoring the brightly colored envelope and the anticipation to open it eating away at me.

———————————————————————————————————

I checked into the office, smiling and giving nods as greetings to unfamiliar faces that watched me walk to the back towards the detective's room. I stood outside for a minute, breathing in and out before gently knocking three times on the door. An unhappy sounding grunt was heard from the other side followed by the sounds of papers being fumbled around.
"Come on in, the door isn't locked." Called the voice from the other side.
Everything moved in slow motion as my hand grabbed the knob and pushed the door open to reveal an old man sitting at a long desk against the wall. He had short gray hair, a brown trench coat, and seemed to be almost consumed by many stacks of paper. He spun around in his chair. His green eyes scanning me, they trailed up then down and then back up, settling on my eyes.
"So, you're my understudy, huh? I'm almost offended that they would trust a kid with this job." He spoke with a tone that made me feel.. anxious? Embarrassed? Maybe a mix of both.
"Well, whatcha waiting for? Come on over and have a seat. I have lots to show 'ya."
I maneuvered my way through the narrow office space that was once neat but now a mess of papers, coffee cups, and boxes. I took the seat next to him, trying yet failing to hide how anxious this all made me.
"This job isn't easy. I trust they chose you for a reason but its more than those wacky mystery books you kids get hooked on. This is real life, real danger. Taking this job means putting the safety of this town over your own and finding justi-"
He began his big monologue speech that I tried listening to, but eventually got distracted by a few evidence Boxes under his desk. One was a bright red, the same friendly red that the mysterious envelope was. My thoughts were cut off by his finishing statement.
"For your first requirement, I'm going to need you to look through these papers for me and sort mail and taxes from important things I actually need to look through."
I couldn't tell if he was joking, it was hard when he always kept the same expression.
"Yes sir, I'll get right on that." I said quickly, taking the papers and beginning to read the labels and sort them into piles of "trash" and "read".
Throughout the entire day, I was running errands. Getting coffee, sorting papers, reading them to him since he didn't feel like doing it himself.. nothing too interesting. But, surprisingly, not as bad as I thought it would be. Before clocking out, he handed me a stapled packet and told me I need to fill out the required forms, just to state that I understand the dangers with the job for legal reasons. I gladly took it, waving good night to him before starting my route home.

————————————————————————————————————

As I walked, I couldn't help but think I needed to invest in a car. By the time I was home, the house was eerily quiet. I made my way up to my room and set everything down before beginning to read through and sign the required forms. When I was done, I went to throw them in my desk drawer but before I could, I remembered the envelope. Quickly, I swapped the two and shut the drawer before bouncing back on my bed and peeling the envelope open completely. Unfortunately, the bottom of the envelope ripped and sent all of the... items inside to spill out over my sheets. Some even slid down to the floor. I picked up one of the papers and ran my eyes over it quickly.
What was this?
A drawing?
A drawing of some yellow guy with blue hair.

 What was this? A drawing? A drawing of some yellow guy with blue hair