Chapter Three

After a weekend of searching and printing and taping... and some more taping, I finally got my evidence board finished. Or, I guess, started. I might've gotten a little carried away but losing a few hours of sleep never hurt anyone. It's not like I'm obsessed with this thing, no way. I quickly closed down the 'Welcome Home' page opened on my browser, then went on to do my normal morning routine. Today would be my second official day working under the detective! On the way out, I caught the sight of my reflection in the hallway mirror, I hadn't noticed what two days- I mean a few hours of no sleep does to you.
On my way to the station, I stopped by Jack's Beans to grab a quick coffee and by god was it amazing.

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

I clocked in and made my way to the end of the hall where the office the detective and I share is located. I knocked once on the door, being cut off as the door swung open and I was dragged inside by the detective.
"Hey kid, sorry you.. startled me. I wanted to let you know I have an important meeting to attend about my retirement plans and all that old shit. Do me a favor and look through that case sitting on my desk, it's a small burglary one but I'm too tired to do it so- I figured you could take it as your first official case."
He patted me on the shoulder before picking up a canvas bag leaning on the side of a filing cabinet.
"Oh, and I made you a pair of keys to the office. Your knocking is obnoxious. Do not lose those, I'm not making another copy, alright kid?"
He gave me a friendly smile, something I hadn't seen from him yet.
"Wait- before you go, I need to talk to you about something I've been.. hearing from Rachel's kids around the office. Do you know what a puppet show from the 70's named 'Welcome Home' is? All that talking got me hooked, haha!" I tried my best not to let my lie seep through my dry obvious cracks, but he never caught on. He ran a hand down his sideburns, clearly lost in thought. He looked up at me from the top of his glasses.
"No, I haven't. I don't think that exists, kid. Anyways, I better get going before I miss the entire thing. Oh- And next time you try to ask me about a children's TV show, make sure it exists. Thanks."
He exited quickly through the office door, leaving me alone with my thoughts and the burglary case on his desk. I walked over to where it laid, just right in front of his computer. I glanced from the file to the screen, I mean, he wouldn't mind if I just looked through some records right? I mean, this is about long lost missing people. I leaned past the screen to make sure he was really gone before clicking it on and surprisingly logging in. Who knew a secretive detective would put his name as the username AND password.
I clicked on a mass folder containing over seven-hundred different case files. I scrolled down to find the files that ended in H, where I had to sift through and then I located exactly what I was searching for.

"Multiple Disappearances - 1995 - WH"

I clicked onto it, made a copy, and quickly emailed the copy to my home computer. I almost shut it off before I remembered to delete any evidence of the email being sent, I can't believe I almost forgot that. Swiftly, I clicked the button off and pulled the chair to the desk out before getting started on this low-level burglary case.

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

When I entered my home, I wasted no time getting to my room, locking the door, and downloading the files. As I watched the process bar at 60%, I couldn't help but wonder if I was in too deep. No, I can't water time thinking like that. This is important. I'm important.
Finally, the files downloaded and I was able to open them and carefully read through them. It didn't take long for me to make another connection between all the children involved. All of their parents worked to aid the production of 'Welcome Home' behind the scenes. What if this is like some big cult things- like something out of a movie. But no real sensible person would sacrifice their child to.. a puppet show? Whatever this is. This all doesn't make sense. I'm missing one big piece of this puzzle.
But what is it?