Chapter Two

NICOLE

Ring! Ring!

I reached my hand out for the phone and peeked to see it was an alarm. After stopping the annoying sound, I forced my eyes open, but they immediately shut themselves as I was blinded by sunlight.

My bones cracked as I struggled to get up from my couch. I forgot I left the blinds open when I rushed out for my test job yesterday. I remembered everything that happened up until I went to Mia's bar but I couldn't remember anything else.

"No No No," I muttered, forcing my eyes open to search around me.

Please don't tell me I hack another person while I was high. It was what got me into this mess, to begin with, and I better get my act together before I got arrested. Luckily, there was no computer in sight. Even the monitors in the workspace I created in my sitting room were dark. I was safe.

The only thing I could do now was suck it up and start my day since I had an interview call in about two hours. A handsome face flashed before my eyes like I was supposed to remember. I didn't even remember how I got home last night.

Unlike most people, I didn't get hangovers when I drank a lot, but it would take a while for me to remember what happened. I picked up my phone and got up from the couch.

My apartment in the city of New York was a fancy one. The kind that rich international students would live in for four years, but it had taken most of my savings to get me this place.

I could have lived in any neighbourhood but as a single woman in tech, I had to think about my safety and that of my precious babies; my computers.

As I entered my bathroom, I scrolled through my phone and saw that I had ten voicemails. Nine of them were from Mia. I instantly knew I did something crazy last night and made a mental note to avoid her until I remembered everything. I tapped on the one voice note that wasn't from Mia and put the phone down to brush my teeth.

"Hello Nicole, this is Rebecca from Zen Industries. We're called to find out why you didn't show up for orientation yesterday. My company sent an email during the weekend notifying you of the start of your employment. Please reach back at-"

What. The. Actual. Fuck!

My toothbrush fell out of my mouth and into the sink. I picked up my phone and opened my mail app so fast. How did I miss an email from Zen Industries? I've been on their programmer waiting list for two months.

I can't really say it's my dream company, but I could earn enough to pay all my bills and have some to spend on vacation.

After I left college, I didn't expect any money from my parents and I used the last of my trust fund to get this apartment and survive to date. I vowed to never call my parents to ask for money and I haven't in four years.

I scrolled through my mailbox and found the email from Zen Industries right above the three rejection mails. I probably saw it and assumed it was another rejection mail.

I quickly spat the rest of the toothpaste off my mouth and cleared my throat while dialling Rebecca's number. After three rings, she picked up.

"Ms Banks?" she calls.

"Hi, I'm calling regarding your voicemail. I saw the mail, but I assumed it was a rejection mail. I am so sorry,"

"That's ok, you can report to your supervisor today. Work hours start at 9:30," she said.

I scrolled down my lock screen, and it was 8:16.

"Thank you so much. I'll be there,"

I hung up and ran to my closet to find a suitable outfit. The only formal wear I had was from my intern days and I didn't want to be reminded of that time of my life. As I skimmed through, I found a shirt I haven't worn before.