Chapter Forty-Six

AIDEN

My phone beeped as I drove into my father's house. I parked the car and saw the message update from Halo.

"Nicole stocks secured," the message read.

"That's my girl," I say to myself.

This morning, she was nervous, thinking she could not convince them, but I knew she could do it. I was still getting to know this ambitious side of her and I was loving every step. It seemed like she buried that part of herself to escape her family.

From the first day I met her, I knew she was the kind of woman who knew what she wanted and would get it at all costs. She probably hated me the first time we met because I was the same. We were definitely a perfect match.

I climbed out of my car and took in the evening breeze. This was my last work-related spot before I retired with Nicole for the night. Now that she was with me, I didn't have to worry about the things that happened when I was younger.

This house, however, is always a reminder. Even after my mother passed away, my father refused to move to another house. I've been coming here more often than I liked lately, but today was meant to serve a purpose.

These old geezers must have something up their sleeve. However, if they saw us frequently, they would never be able to predict our next move. The element of surprise was vital for this takeover.

This time, I had to make sure that this was the last time I would deal with this problem. At the time I arrived, the security was changing shifts at the mansion. Did he think I would hurt him?

"You've been here an awful lot," my father said, taking a sip of his drink.

He was seated in the gazebo of the mansion scrolling through a feed on his iPad. A few years ago, he was into reading the newspaper, but he didn't read things like this unless he was stressed. He was also drinking alcohol by this time of the night.

I ignored his remark and poured some whiskey into the spare glass, then I added an ice cube. My father continued to ignore my presence as I twirled the drink in my hand, waiting for him to say something. I hoped he did not misunderstand this to be a father-son bonding activity.

The feeling I had for him wasn't hatred, but pure rage. For years, I struggled to be my own person, like I was raised to be. They would never admit it, but they only wanted us to be our own person when we were interacting with other people.

We were expected to be outstanding but never outshine them. To be strategic and, obedient. To be independent but dependent on them so we can be controlled. I have come to the conclusion that to be free; we need to do everything they said we couldn't do.

"Have you decided to give your shares to Jessi?" I asked.

My father slammed his iPad on the table and glared at me. His eyes bore so much rage I thought he would lift a finger to hurt me. What was he thinking right now? I wanted to know because backing him against the wall was amusing to me.

"Are you upset?" I smirked. "If the company was struggling, you should have told me. I had to hear it from others,"

"Who is spreading such lies?!" he yelled.

"You're at work and on your table all day. Don't tell me you haven't noticed your stocks are falling. Would you like me to tell you why?"

"Is this your handwork?"

"Where would I find the time for you, Dad? I have my own company to run. I came today because I was worried about you,"

That was obviously a lie. The last time I was worried about him was when I was five, and I regretted that decision the next morning when he made fun of me for it.