Chapter Twenty-Four

JONAS

Events like these were boring to me, but I had to attend them. In Mrs. Callisto's words, I was the face of the Calisto family. I had to show them that I was strong and healthy.

What did she expect? I was nearly 26, and I barely got sick. It always felt like there was someone in the room who wanted you dead because, in reality, there was.

The air of the hall was filled with the stench of alcohol, dozens of designer perfumes, and fake laughers. Everyone in the hall was wearing a mask. Behind every mask was nothing good.

Even though they didn't carry physical weapons, they were each capable of murder. A group of elite women smiled at me as I made my way to Mrs. Callisto. She invited me here, so I always ended up at her side. I would stay for a few minutes and then leave.

Mrs Callisto had a glass of champagne in one hand and was laughing with two elites I knew very well.

"You came alone again," she said.

"You act like that's ever going to change," I whispered as I pretended to kiss her cheek.

Just then, a camera flash came just in time to capture the intimate moment. I turned around and smiled to take a picture of her. Even I had to wear a mask when I was here. Not because I was hiding anything, but because I was afraid I would kill them all.

Aiden and Jessi used to be my partners to these events, but after Aiden left and Jessi was practically disowned, it was just me.

"If you would stay a little longer, she will be here soon," Mrs Callisto whispered.

"Who?" I asked.

"The one I told you about. She's been meaning to share a meal with you for weeks,"

"Mr Stark is working hard to set Aiden up with Diana and now you think you can try with me?"

"It's nothing new, Jonas. Everyone in this hall sets their children up. It's how families get stronger and gain more territories,"

Territories. I haven't heard that word in years. Not since my father died. My father has been dead for thirteen years now. Expanding territories is how he got himself killed. I glared at Mrs. Callisto, but she only smiled for the appearance.

"It's time to stop playing hard to get Jonas," she said. "Look at the Argentinos, they failed to marry Jessi Stark years ago, but they found another match for him,"

I looked at the arrogant heir of the Argentino family; Michael Argentino. He was ten years older than me, but I was raised to see him as my rival. When I was a kid, it was difficult to match his skills, but now that I was 26, the story was different.

Micheal was supposed to marry Jessi to get into the Stark's wealth, but their alliance with my family made it difficult. In plain words, Aiden and I gave them hell until they called it off.

"Why are you bringing up that tragic incident?" I asked unbothered.

"I'm just trying to show you reality. If you don't get married soon, they will surpass us," she replied.

"It's been 13 years. Haven't I shown you that I can protect our territory well enough?"

"You're capable, but if you don't expand like the rest, we may end up losing our influence,"

"Maybe if you consider my preference I will think about it,"

"Men don't bear children, Jonas. A woman from an influential family will give your heir strength, just like I gave you."

"When was the last time I called you my mother?" I asked her.

She went silent and took that as my cue to leave. It was best if I left the party before her guest arrived. However, I didn't make it halfway to the door before I was ambushed by someone.