Chapter Four

AIDEN

"Are we going to pretend like that didn't happen?" Jonas asked from across my desk.

He had his feet propped up on my glass table, scrolling on his phone. Knowing him, he was probably looking for his next distraction AKA date for the week. I was used to his probing, but I was still stunned that I ran into Nicole here.

From the moment she disappeared from my hotel room, she was all I could think about. It didn't help that I was shaky because I still hadn't gotten any sleep in nearly 36 hours. I tried after Nicole disappeared and even took some meds, but I woke up after 30 minutes. That was 30 minutes I never wanted to experience again.

I quickly pulled up the interview videos sent to me by the board.

If today was her first day, then she was the one I chose from the programming interview. When I saw her today, I immediately recognized her as the woman I had chosen. Her interview was good enough to make me watch it over and over. It also surprised me that I was the only one who decided on her as the perfect candidate.

Why didn't I recognise her at the bar?

In an industry that causes people to spend hours on a computer, we found out that our workforce was very competent but terrible at communication. Nicole was different. Of all the candidates, she was the most talented and articulate. She was the kind of programmer we could take to client meetings and would be able to explain complex tech to a layman.

I was very impressed.

Now that I knew who she was, I'd hoped that my mind would calm down, but every time I closed my eyes, I'm back in my hotel room with Nicole straddling me. It was the first time I've experienced that much intimating for a woman. Why did my body want to hold her close? 

Even though I badly needed sleep, so I didn't end up as the new headline tomorrow, I wasn't sure why I felt that way. I didn't know why my senses shifted so quickly when Nicole was around.

It wasn't about the kiss or about what would have happened between us last night. Nicole made me feel something new I'd never felt before. My body wanted to explore it. It was something more than any form of attraction I've had for a woman. I couldn't place a finger on it and it was strange.

I wasn't the type to dwell on women since dating wasn't hard for me, but when I started Zen, keeping a girlfriend was very demanding, so I stuck to having sleep partners on a contract.

My last sleeping partner was with me for six months and I only learned her last name on the night she turned in her resignation. What was so different about Nicole, and why did I find myself wanting more?

"Are you really going to ignore me?" Jonas teased, dropping his phone.

I looked up from my desk to see his smirk. He was enjoying this and I could understand why. It had been years since I approached a woman and it wasn't for work. However, I had too much to do, and I had to find a way to get at least five hours of sleep.

"Wipe that smile from your face," I replied.

"Bro, she called you by your first name and I saw the way she looked at you," he got up and walked towards my chair.

"Something clearly happened between you two and you never mentioned her,"

"Oh please, I don't tell you everything Jonas,"

"Yes, you do. I'm your best friend,"

"You never let me forget,"

"Because I'm irreplaceable," he laughs and sits on the table next to me.