Chapter Thirty-Six

AIDEN

"I want to come with you," Mia stops me as I'm about to enter my car.

She still had a few drops of tears on her face and I was even more hot-headed than when I left my father's office. Why was everything happening so fast?

I should have gotten Nicole out of here the second Jonas sent me that photo. When I left her apartment, I intended to come back, which is why I left my bag there. I assumed she would be safe even for a few hours.

Nicole's mother's visit was an oversight. What I saw yesterday was humiliation. I thought all she wanted from Nicole was for her to feel insecure.

The sad part of everything was that Nicole was purposely leaving me out of everything. However, Mia knew everything about her true relationship with her mother.

Anyone working with me from this point will have to risk everything, and I don't think Nicole will forgive me if her friend gets hurt. If there was anyone who understood her position, it was me and my friends.

It was hard to believe that Nicole was part of us, but I would find out everything when I met Jonas.

"I can't let you come with me," I told Mia.

This was the best decision. I'll help Nicole and keep her posted when she is safe.

"I think the fuck not?" Mia replied, stopping me from opening my car. "I'm coming with you. Nicole is my best friend and you need me because I know everything about her mother."

I didn't need her help for that. I have Jonas. However, the way she was looking at me was threatening. There was no way I could bring her with me to work with Joas. The way we worked was different from what she was used to.

"Mia, I can't let you come with me. It's too dangerous," I tell her honestly.

"I lived in the hood until I was ten years old. I know what's up,"

"Street gangsters are low level compared to how our people operate,"

"It's Jonas, isn't it? I heard you call him to ask for his men,"

"Please don't do this. If you get involved with our families, you may not walk out of this alive. I'm trying to protect you,"

"I don't care,"

"You may have to quit your job and disappear for a while if you help us,"

"That's it? I'm a part-timer! I promised Nicole I've got her back. I can't let her mom lie about her health just to keep her under her thumb. My friend is not crazy,"

I didn't understand a word of what she said and I was sure Jonas wouldn't either. We needed her. I sighed and gestured for her to take the passenger seat.

"I'm so sorry you have to get involved with our messy families," I say once we're inside.

"Enough talking. I'm still mad at you for hurting Nicole, so don't expect me to be nice to you. Drive!"

I started the car and drove straight to my house. I needed Jonas to bring the men here to my house. Nicole would be protected at her parent's house until I came to get her.

Every second she stayed in there without me knowing the full story, I was feral. If her mother was capable of destroying her things and putting Nicole in the state I saw her in, then she was probably not a good mother.

"Are you going to tell me what happened?" I asked Mia.

"I'll be honest with you, Aiden. I was rooting for you. I don't know what happened to you, but you disappointed me,"