Chapter Twenty-Two

AIDEN

"I won't do it," I told Diana.

"What you want doesn't matter," she replied.

"You can tell the press whatever you want, but I won't make a statement in this until I'm ready,"

"So you want everyone to think I'm delusional? Our wedding is very soon Aiden, and this is just a TV interview,"

I glared at her. I knew what would happen if I didn't comply with her wish, but I had no intention of telling anyone I would marry her. I couldn't even say it out loud. There was no one to help me out of this.

Jonas hated me and wouldn't answer my calls. I was losing my mind with no sleep. Overdosing on my pills would kill me if I wasn't careful, and I didn't want to get addicted. It was the only way I could get any sleep.

Nicole had only been to my house once, but I thought of her every day. I didn't have the energy to go to work on most days. Diana's presence was draining. I felt like I would drop dead at any point.

I followed her to the TV station, doing my best to come up with a good plan before things got out of hand. Diana spoke like she had an agreement with my father using her father's influence. It makes me wonder what she saw in me.

Diana was aware that I didn't love her, and I did not want to marry her and she was deluded into thinking I would someday. Was she not worried about how fake all of this was? I was only playing along for now, but she would be hurt when I stopped this fucked up situationship.

When we got to the TV station, we were taken to a room to wait on standby. My father sent me a text telling me to behave, and I just decided to say nothing.

"How is the wedding preparations coming?" The interviewer asked.

The smile on her face was so fake and it made me so uncomfortable.

"Aiden and I are still getting to know each other again since we've been apart for years," Diana replied.

"That's so healthy. Congratulations once again. I'm really happy you brought Aiden this time, so can he give us more insight into the new housing project?"

I frowned. What project was she talking about? I searched my brain, but nothing came to mind. For the last five years, I focused on my company and made it successful.

When I didn't speak, Diana told the interviewer that we were both still learning about our family business. Then it clicked. I knew my father hated the fact that my games had succeeded when he branded them a failure.

He never wanted me to do anything outside the family business so he could control me. The man was using Diana to get me back on a leash. What was Diana getting out of this?

After the interview, I texted Lizzy telling her to send me everything she could find on the new housing project. I had to know what my family was planning and use it to my advantage.

"You could have at least said something in the interview. The host was so nice to you," Diana said.

She went on and on about how much fun she was having and how we had to visit other people. The sound of her voice increased my rage. I halted in my tracks and turned to face her so she knew I was serious.

"Find your way back, I'm leaving," I told her.

I immediately went inside my car and locked the doors before she could protest. Diana stared at me in shock as I drove away. It had been almost eight minutes since I texted Lizzy. I hoped she was able to find something I could use.