Chapter Forty-Seven

NICOLE

"Is there something wrong with the gift?" Curtis asked.

When I accepted Aiden's proposal, I knew it didn't mean I was free from their control. However, I did not expect them to come to me this soon. As soon as I heard Curtis was here, my heart raced in my chest.

Did she find out about our plan?

Was I followed?

Did I do something wrong?

Was I not safe here?

I had all kinds of thoughts, and it made me furious. Why should I be the one running away all the time? After Aiden got me out, I haven't found the time to process everything that happened to me.

My own mother gave permission for me to be drugged. They locked me in a room, forced me to go to school to study a course I don't give a shit about and now they are back again.

This was too overwhelming for me to handle. My emotions fluctuate too frequently and the last thing I want is to break down in front of everyone. It was hard pretending I was alright but I have to be strong. Everyone here was trying their best, too.

What more did they want from me?

These thoughts rushed through my mind, and they gave me a headache. Curtis came here trying to force his way in and I had no choice but to come out because I didn't know anything. Our parents couldn't find out about our plan and that we were all here together.

My silence must be scary to my mother. Now that I was with Aiden, she was terrified of not knowing anything about me. I concluded that Curtis was sent here as a spy and it made me even more furious.

"Take it all back and get lost," I said calmly.

The fear I had coming out here was shifting to rage. This hot emotion was building within me and was about to take over my body.

"Does she think she can get in my good graces with these petty gifts?" I asked.

"Miss Banks, your mother cares for you and you know it. She wants to make sure you have the best when you finally start school,"

"School? Is that what this is about? You just said she cared about me, but she is trying to get me to go to school after ruining my life and cutting me off from the money I earned with my hard work. She destroyed everything I built for what? A new car and money?"

"Please calm down Miss,"

"GET OUT! I'm finally getting married like she wanted and that's the end of us,"

Curtis was taken aback by my outburst and he quickly left the compound with the men he came with. I stood frozen in pace outside, staring at everything but nothing at the same time.

Until I felt someone holding me from my back, I couldn't feel anything. When I turned around, I saw that it was Aiden. He smiled at me and pulled me closer. I let him hug me while I took in his scent.

My face felt wet telling me that I was crying. When did I cry?

"You did good," Aiden said, running his hands through my braids.

I let them free as soon as I got home because I planned on drinking wine to celebrate my victory. All of that was ruined now. I hoped this would be the last time she would send me anything.

This time, I would make sure she would never be able to hurt me again.

"Is this about the meeting or talking to Curtis?" I asked.

"Both,"

Aiden kissed my forehead and took me inside because it was cold. Mia came out to the living room after just hearing of the commotion outside.

"What happened?" she asked.

"Nicole's mom sent some bribe to this house," Halo replied.

He was sitting on the couch typing away on his laptop. I was surprised he could still talk to other white typing, possibly complex codes. Mia flared up when she heard his reply.

"That's it. I'm not going to sit back and watch this time," she said.

"Mia, what are you going to do?" Aiden stopped her.

"This has gone on too far. Last time I had to watch my friend get dragged off because I had no power to help her. I will not go through that again. Nicole, your mama needs her ass beat,"

"You won't make it past security,"

"I can wait at her salon and do the deed in public. There is no way a mother can get away with being this evil. She never said sorry to Nicole, and she brought what? A bribe?"

"Mia, calm down," I said, going to hug her.

"I refuse! What if she brings another court order?"

"It'll be useless," Aiden replied. "I won't let Nicole go even if I have to become a criminal,"

He said that with a straight face and I couldn't helps the warmth that spread my body. In that instant I wished we were the only ones here so I could give him a reward.

"I'm so sorry, baby," Mia cried, hugging me. "You deserve a better mom,"

"You can be my mama if you want," I replied.

"Oh, baby,"

We hugged and comforted each other, then we settled down on the couch facing Halo. he paused his typing and frowned. I wondered if it was because he found a bug. If he needed help, I was here.

"You guys!" Halo called. "Come and see this,"

"What is it?" Aiden asked.

"Turn on the TV to channel 48 news,"

Aiden found the remote and turned on the TV. In a few more seconds, we were watching an interview on his 58-inch television. The man getting interviewed was very unfamiliar with his voice, but I could tell who he was in one glance.

Aside from the sound of the television, the silence in the room was so loud that you could hear our necks all turn to Aiden. His fist was tightened around the TV remote as we listened to the man talk in business terms.

The man on the screen was Aiden's father. I have never met him, but from his posture and how he talked, I knew he was like my mother in many ways. These elite people behave a certain way in front of others.

"The reports show that your stocks have been failing drastically. Have you done research to find the cause?" the host asked.

"Our stocks haven't fallen so low yet. It's actually quite stable if you look at the previous records," the man on the screen replied.

"But my source says some people have already begun selling their stocks to get out before the fall of the Stark empire,"

"That's just a rumour, sir?"

"Do you think it's because they believe another company will get the housing project the government is planning to start?"

"I'm not sure how that is involved in anything, but the government will award the contract to the most suitable company"

"Did you think Stark Construction has the manpower for it?"

"Don't underestimate us,"

The interviewer called a break, and a new ad popped up right after. He turned off the TV screen and turned to face us. When he returned to us, I could not see his smile on his face watching his father. He was full-on grinning.

"I think my dad will fold pretty soon," Aiden said. "We need to wrap this up before they figure out it's us,"

- # # # -

Song recommendation: Perfect night - Le Sserafim