Chapter Fifty-Two

NICOLE

A buzzing sound woke me up from sleep and I turned to my side to pick up the phone. As I answered the call, my eyes widened to see it was already 6 am. Aiden was out like the candlelight after Christmas dinner.

Remembering his problem with sleep. I decided to go to the bathroom and answer the call. It was Jessi who spoke on the other line.

"You could have come up to call me," I said as soon I was far away.

"And let Aiden chew me out if I walk in on you two doing the dirty? Not a chance in hell," Jessi laughed.

"What's going on?"

"I'm calling for a meeting in five minutes and wake Aiden too,"

"I think I'll let him sleep a lot more. He hasn't been home in days,"

"Looks like Aiden might be the first Stark to marry right after all,"

"What does that mean?" I laughed.

Although I knew little about their family, I understood enough to know that none of them had divorced parents. That wasn't always a good thing. However, aside from being terrible parents, I saw no wrong with the Starks.

"My father is an asshole who did not deserve a woman like my mom and Aiden's mother was too good for my uncle. If we look at me, I almost married an asshole as well, but you're different. I knew from the moment you asked for Stark Industries that you were the missing spark to changing the Stark family for good,"

Her words made me feel warm and fuzzy like I had just received praises from an older sister. It made me feel guilty because I felt like I was using them as revenge against my mother.

"What if I don't know what I'm doing?" I asked.

"That's what we're here for, sweetheart. Come downstairs when you're ready,"

"Sure thing,"

After hanging up the phone, I stared at my reflection in the mirror for a good sixty seconds. I almost could not recognise the face staring back at me. The light in my eyes had nearly depleted for good.

There were many things in my life that could have broken me, including finding out my ex had been cheating for two years, but the only thing that could break you open was family.

All my life, I came up with all sorts of excuses and blamed myself for my terrible relationship with my mother. However, after I found out she drugged me, I was hit with the painful realisation that she never cared.

Jennifer Banks would only acknowledge me if she needed me and only use me when she had power over me. I craved to see the day when she would be powerless enough to gravel.

How would she face my father when I finally take everything from her?

I washed my face, brushed my teeth and went downstairs as quietly as possible, but I got caught as soon as I got to the stairs.

"Where are you sneaking off to?" Aiden asked, grabbing me by the waist.

He planted a kiss on my neck as he tried to carry me back to the room.

"When did you wake up?" I asked.

"I can feel you leaving the bed, you know. Did you forget I need you to fall asleep most time?"

"Oh, I thought that was getting better,"

"Since we began this project, I've been sleeping a lot better, but it's different with you. Come back to bed. It's still early,"