telephone

- hyunjin -

     "LET'S GOOOO!!" a cheer goes up in a chorus of voices upon hearing that i gave felix my number. it's safe to say that the members are supportive of us being together. everyone stayed behind to hear how my time with felix went, and the changing room is bustling with excitement. the members are taking turns patting me on the back and making bets about what else happened in the conference room.

"i don't kiss and tell," i explain, turning down questions.

"that's fine, but your lips are looking especially pink. what lip product is that jinnie?" jisung asks, with a face full of false innocence. the rest of the members start cracking up.

      "they are nottttt." i walk over to a mirror to check, and they definitely are. i press my cool fingertips against them.

     at that moment, yun walks in. he looks around at everyone lounging and laughing together and shakes his head with a tired smile.

     "why is everyone still in here? let's get back to the hotel. up, up!" he gestures for minho and jisung to get off the couch and for everyone to follow him out the door. the members stifle a new round of laughter and grab their things before heading through the exit.

     i grab my phone and check for a new text as i walk. nothing yet...

- felix -

immediately after i get back to my apartment, i head to the bathroom mirror to see what i look like with hyunjin's number on my skin. i pull up my white shirt and feel my jaw drop a bit as i admire his work. it kinda looks like a faded tattoo. i stare at my reflection, convinced this is the best i've ever looked.

i slide my phone out of my pocket and navigate to the camera. i tilt my head slightly and pose for some mirror selfies. checking my camera roll, i smile, feeling satisfied with how they came out.

i switch to the kakaotalk app, which i still have downloaded from the last time my family visited korea, and click "add by contacts". should i put his name as "hyunjin"? we're probably supposed to keep our relationship secret... maybe i should give him a fake name. or...

i smile and type out three letters: s a m. hyunjin's english name. i smile to myself. then, looking back and forth from the numbers written on my lower abdomen, i carefully type in hyunjin's number. i say a silent prayer before clicking "ok". luckily, it goes through. i exhale in relief. now i have a way to contact hyunjin.

but what do i say?

i wander to my bedroom and collapse back-first onto my bed, trying to think of something to start our conversation with. i could just say, "hey hyunjin!" but that's boring, right? i tap the back of my phone and stare at the ceiling as i think.

     what if...

i click into my photo album and look at the photos i just took. i smile at the screen as i imagine hyunjin's reaction. i choose my favorite and send it with a little message.

felix: maybe not having paper wasn't so bad?

felix: [photo attachment]

after thirty seconds, hyunjin's response comes through.

sam: i definitely didn't mind!!