Chapter 19 *~*~*Kaage*~*~*

(*~*~*Kaage*~*~*)

The sun slowly set in the sky as we head deeper and deeper into the forest. Lee Mi has fallen asleep on my back. Everyone was pretty silent. After Kenjii little break down, Akinori been by her side. I felt almost forgotten. Is this really how it’s going to be for the rest of the mission? The sensei stopped suddenly, making everyone lose their balance.

“We will camp here,” Sensei told us, pointing to the ground that we stood on. Akinori dropped Lee Mi’s suitcase and unwrap his blanket. Kenjii sat on a log while Sensei told something to Akatsuki. Lee Mi slowly woke up from behind me. I put her down.

“Kaage, where are we?” she questioned, yawning and wiping her sleepy eyes.

“Somewhere deep in the woods,” I answered.

“Kenjii, I want you to watch Lee Mi,” the sensei said.

“What?” Kenjii and Lee Mi questioned at the same time. Lee Mi was awake for sure now.

“Akinori and I are going fishing and Kaage and Akatsuki are going to search for wood so that leaves you to watch Lee Mi,” the sensei explained.

“Why can’t she go with him and Kaage stay here?” Lee Mi complained, crossing her arm over her chest.

“My mind is set and I want no more drama. They’ll only be gone a few minutes. Trust me, you’ll live. Kenjii doesn’t bite.” The sensei shrugged off what he said. Lee Mi looked at me with pleading eyes. I copy exactly what the Sensei did.

“Kenjii, be a dear and set the camp. We will be back before night falls,” Sensei said, putting his hand on Akinori shoulder and leading him to the way of the lake.

Akatsuki started to walk and I followed. We kept getting farther and farther away from the camp.

I sighed. I look around for a special rock, while Akatsuki picks some branches up.

“Hey Kaage?” Akatsuki started, after a while of silence between us.

“Hmm?” I sounded, turning toward him to find him holding a bunch of branches in his arms.

“Can you pick up that stick for me?” He pointed to it with his toes. I laughed.

“Sure, of course” I pick up the stick and set it on the pile in Akatsuki’s arm. He thanked me and then he stared at me.

“Is there something on my face?” I joked, pretending to search for something on it.

“No. I wanted to say sorry for Kenjii’s behavior and for grabbing your arm”

I nodded.

“It’s fine, seriously. She does have a strong feeling of love for you”

Akatsuki shrugged.

“She too immature for me. Beside, Akinori got her right where he wants her.”

I pick up a rock and a stick. “What do you mean ‘Akinori got Kenjii where he wants her’?”

“I’m saying now she is a sad little puppy and she needs love, Akinori can step in,” Akatsuki explained.

“Is what she said… Is it true?” I mumbled.

“What did she say?” Akatsuki asked back.

“The passionate hate towards her,” I replied.

“I guess. That’s what I told Akinori”

“Interesting…” I finally find the black, special rock. “Finally!” I shouted. Akatsuki looked at me, confused.

“What’s that?” he questioned. I stared at the beautiful rock.

“When I was four years old, before my dad died, we use to go camping. It was part of my training. We mostly went camping when it snow or rained,” I explained, remembering.

“Your dad was hardcore,” Akatsuki commented.

“Yeah but he was amazing. I use to spend all my time with him.” I stared at the rock. “This rock will help us build a fire. Just like daddy taught me”

I began to remember the first time I laid eyes on it. My dad pick it up and told me the story how his dad showed him this beautiful rock. How it happen while they were hiking and he tripped over the rock. I laughed at him; my dad was always so silly.

I grinned, flashing back to reality.

“How’s your dad like?” I asked Akatsuki, curious. He sighed before answering.

“Well like your dad, he’s dead. He was cool. He cared a lot for Akimi and me. He was very wise and he would give his life for us. If my dad was only stronger, he wouldn’t have died.”

“How did he die?” I questioned. He sighed again.

“He died on a mission. The people said it was a top secret. Only my mom knows and who ever was with him. He went on a deadly mission so he knew he was risking his life. My mom muttered a lot, after he died, over and over again, ‘if only he was stronger.’” Akatsuki spoke as if he was talking more to himself than me.

“Akatsuki, we should get back to camp,” I whispered, after a moment of silence and letting him stare at the ground.

“You’re not like Akinori and going to tell everyone about this chat, right?”

“Of course not” That question took me by surprise. He walked in direction of camp. I followed behind. We reach camp with in a few minutes.

Lee Mi was sitting on the ground, playing with the bear and Kenjii was combing her hair. Akatsuki started working on fire; setting the sticks perfect to start the fire.

“Kaage!” Lee Mi screamed, hugging me. I look to find Kenjii glaring at me.

“Hey Cutie” I bend down closer to her. “What’s her problem?” I whispered.

“She’s a witch. What else?” Lee Mi pointed out. I shrugged and went to help Akatsuki with the fire. He was done setting it up. He put rocks neatly around the sticks. I took the special rock and scrape it against an ordinary rock. A spark appeared.

“Lee Mi, get away from here,” I told her. She nodded and sat on a log that was twenty feet away. I did it again and another spark appeared.

I grinned. Once again and fire started.

“Nice,” Akatsuki commented. Sensei and Akinori appeared somewhere from the left. They brought a big fish.

“Nice work!” Lee Mi shouted, jumping up. She’s probably hungry. It was a long walk from here.

“Good job, Akinori,” I muttered, as he walk pass me to talk to Kenjii. He didn’t even hear me. Now I feel like I did something towards him. I hope I didn’t.

“I’m guessing you caught them all Sensei,” Akatsuki said, as the sensei move closer to him.

“Nonsense! Akinori caught a baby” The sensei laughed.

“Figures” Akatsuki sighed. I grabbed some of the extra sticks and one of my kunai and sat on a log. Akinori walked pass me.

“Hey Akinori, pass me some fish,” I told him. He handed me some fish and left. I scraped the fish with the kunai. Lee Mi sat beside me.

“Can I help in anyway?” She asked, squeezing the bear closer to her chest.

“Yeah, you can stick the twigs into the fish so we could start cooking,” I explained to her. She nodded and took the fish, which I finish scraping the scales off, and attempted to stab it. I laughed.

“It’s not funny! It won’t go in,” Lee Mi whined. I hand her a kunai.

“Keep it. You will sharpen the wood then use it for defense. You’ll sleep better knowing it’s with you,” I told her. She nodded and did what I said. She’s an awesome kid for that.