Chapter 14

I woke to the muted hum of the wheels of Ben's car on the road. We drove over a small bump and my head hit the window very gracefully.

"Ow," I exclaimed under my breath.

A light laugh from the driver's seat caught my attention.

"What are you laughing at?" I ask, groggily.

"Nothing, I just noticed how lucky I am."

I'm not really used to receiving compliments, or nice compliments at least. So I just sat there fidgeting with my fingers in my lap blushing my head off like an idiot. Thank god for the darkness outside.

"You have lots of freckles," he suddenly remarked.

"What?"

"You have lots of freckles, all over you. Like pepper. I never noticed them until you...well you know what I'm talking about. But they are very cute."

"You never noticed the ones on my face? They don't really blend in even though they're be basically invisible on other people I'm very very pale."

"I mean of course I did but I never knew they spread...downwards."

I cock one eyebrow at him and question, "downwards?"

Even though it's dark I could tell he was blushing.

"I know you know what I mean you're just trying to mess with me, you jerk." He said, giving me a light shove. I could hear the smile in his voice.

A few minutes later he pulled into my house's driveway and put the car in park.

"What are we doing here?" I ask.

"You asked me to take you home," Ben replied, his face confused in the lights cast from my porch lights.

"Benjamin are you kidding me? I can't go home, did you here that phone call? My moms pissed at me. More than she's been in a long time and she isn't exactly a team player whenever she's mad," I hiss.

"Oh shit, I totally forgot. I'm sorry, Mave. Is there anything you wanna get from inside though? Or I could get it for you, if you'd like."

I thought over mom and maybe Drakewho is inside and my decision was made.

"Could you get it for me? Please?"

"Of course, what do you want me to grab?"

"Um, just some clothes and stuff like that, anything you find just stuff it in my backpack. And grab my phone. I don't know where it is though so you'll have to look for it. My door doesn't have a lock so you have to be really fast."

"Got it. I'll be back in a minute," he was halfway out the car but I had something to add.

I grabbed his arm and said, "Ben? Be careful. Please."

"I'll be fine."

I watched him go inside and disappear behind the closed door. I hope he knows what he signed up for.