Break

Nat's POV:

It's been about 2 weeks since it all happened and I'm already settled and working in D.C. my appartement in New York long abandoned. Though, something deeply irritates me, even here, I can't stop thinking about her and what happened.

If I didn't put those fucking microphones, if she hadn't react so aggressively, if she had let me explain. I probably would've turned down Nick's offer.

I'm thinking about her all the time and I only knew her a year and a half, had feeling for her barely a third of that time. Damn it! I still fucking like her, why do I like her so much?

Stuck in my room with nothing more to do, but be mad at myself about thoughts I seemingly can't stop, I decide to call Clint. Last time I texted him I was right after my first mission here. I only told him I was safe and sound, he knows nothing about the break up and maybe it's time to tell him.

"Hey what's up Bestie!" He happily greets, answering my call within the first rings.

"Hello." I greet normally, or so I thought, 'cause my best friend obviously had to pick up that something's wrong.

"Okay, what happened?" He directly demands in his usual car ok good night tone, containing the determination showing he'll insist until he knows the problem.

There's a silence in which I contemplate what are the appropriate words and it feels like forever "Umm..." I take a deep breath "Y/N and I broke up" My voice is emotional and I hate it.

"Ouch" He verbalized what I feel since it happened "You're going to come here and tell me everything, I'll help you" He I Stanton decides

"What?! Clint I can't, I have missions, I-" I start to refuse

"No excuses Nat, get on a Quinjet and bring your ass back here, while I clear your schedule with Fury" He orders me hanging up.

After the call, I start packing, what else can I do? Clint is getting Nick on his side for sure... and I'd lie saying saying I didn't want to see Laura and the mini Bartons.

With S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Quinjets I'll be there in less than 2 hours along with the small errands I have to do.

I don't even have a time to knock on the door that it opens itself revealing Laura who directly hugs me. "Nat! I'm so happy to see you!" She exclaims, pushing me back at arm length, Clint's wife is always sweet and caring "Are you okay? Clint told me everything, how are you feeling?"

I roll my eyes "it isn't that bad, I'm fine Laura" I reassure smiling as she invites me in

"I'll be the judge of that" She answers "Guys! Nat's here!" She almost screams to the rest of the family, who's probably upstairs.

The house isn't too big, but it never feels too small, 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and an immense living space on the first floor linking kitchen, dining room and living room, in that order.

"We're coming!" Clint quickly answers as I hear light footsteps accelerating on the upper. Coop, I immediately think smiling.

"Do you want something to drink?" Laura kindly proposes which I politely decline with a shake of my head.

"Aunt Nat!" I hear almost at the same time as an impact with my leg happens.

"Cooper! What's up kiddo!" I say, surprised with the hug, he's normally really reserved. I crouch down to his level "You've grown so much since last time! I should come more often." I think out loud, getting the little guy in my arms, making him squeal.

"Yeah!" He subtly agrees, making me freeze for a second and look up to Clint with Lila in his arms, the joy written all over his face clearly telling me that's a 100 percent Coop's initiative, making me smile. All of it making Y/N completely fade from my mind.