Chapter 39

Clara's adopted parents had arrived and were helping ensure the couple were fully ready for both the day ahead and the days to follow. They asked for a full briefing on their homework and posed a range of follow up questions until they were fully satisfied that Clara and Taehyung had an adequate plan. The parents then shared their own advice on how to keep a relationship healthy and strong.

Taehyung occasionally wistfully wished it was his own parents supporting them with such intention and care. But he would simply have to hope that would happen with time. In the meantime Clara's parents offered steady support. And Clara's comfort about them was an undeniable advantage that Taehyung had to acknowledge.

It was soon evident that the short planning period came with some unique challenges. Taehyung didn't even have a clean set of clothes with him, let alone something appropriate for his wedding. No rings were in sight. And any hope for flowers, or even vows felt far fetched.

Clara's parents, with the support of Namjoon and by extension the company, went into problem solving mode. They recognized that Taehyung and Clara would be fine with any outcome as long as they were married at the end. But they hoped to give them the most memorable experience possible. Working quickly they had found some inexpensive rings that would serve in the short term, purchased a small bouquet of flowers from a corner market, and made sure both had appropriate clothes. Mrs. Kim helped Clara pack a bag to get through at least a few days at Taehyung's apartment. And she made a plan to meet Clara later in the week to help gather the rest of her things for the movers to take over.

After a quick snack in place of lunch, it was time to go and register the marriage. They weren't having any type of ceremony, so both sets of parents and Namjoon would accompany them to sign the forms binding them together. Taehyung was holding Clara's hand tight the entire way as they rode in the back of a manager's car. Clara mostly silently looked out the car window, starting to feel a bit of nervousness creeping in.

As they were nearing the office to meet the government official, Clara squeezed Taehyung's hand and interrupted the silence. "I've been thinking. I know in Korea it isn't as customary for the wife to take her husband's last name. But if you agree, I would like to change my last name to Kim. Your last name is Kim and so is Namjoon's family. Well, really they are my family now too, the only family I have. I'd like to share the same last name as the people who are the closest to me. What do you think?"

Taehyung was, well, ecstatic. "I would never ask you to change your last name. But if you would like to, I couldn't be more happy to share my last name with you. Everything I have is yours now, and this will be just one more way to show it."

When they arrived at the government office Clara's adopted parents pulled her aside one last time, both to let her know how happy they were for her and to make sure she was still fully confident with her decision. Meanwhile Taehyung's mother was busy smothering him, making sure his clothes were straight and his hair was neat, and brushing non-existent lint from his shirt. She was barely holding back her tears but Taehyung was glad his parents had come to support the couple, even if he knew they were hesitant about what was happening.

With a welcoming smile the government worker who had been sent to oversee the documentation invited Taehyung and Clara to take seats at the table. Taehyung was beaming but he could sense Clara's nerves. Gently caressing her hand he kissed the side of her head to serve as a comfort to her. At his affection Clara stopped shivering, but she still sat rigidly in her chair.

Taehyung was invited to sign the official documents first. Namjoon took pictures on his cell phone while the parents stood behind the couple observing the process. Both mothers were sniffling and wiping away tears at this point, trying to hold back further tears to avoid disrupting the moment.

After Taehyung finished signing, he turned to Clara and kissed her cheek. Nuzzling her he began to whisper, "I love you so much. I don't think you will ever truly understand just how much I care for you. I know this is just a piece of paper but I also want to make my own promise to you. I promise to love you, respect you, and take care of you every day for the rest of my life, no matter what our future brings." He stayed close, with his lips gently caressing her temple.

Clara's eyes began to cloud with tears. She turned her head so their foreheads were connected. "I love you too. Thank you for loving me. I never could have dreamed of finding someone like you. I can't believe this is actually happening. Thank you for accepting me as I am. I know I'm not perfect, but with you I feel like I can do anything. I can't wait to spend the rest of our lives together."

After a few quiet moments Taehyung handed Clara the pen so she could sign next. Clara's hand was shaking too much to sign at first, causing her to flush with embarrassment. But after several deep breaths and soothing words from her soon to be husband, Clara calmed enough to sign the document. Setting down the pen she turned to Taehyung with a smile overtaking her face as tears fell down her cheeks. "We did it," she whispered, too emotional to speak louder.

The government worker gathered the papers and congratulated them, at which Namjoon and both sets of parents broke into applause. Taehyung pushed back from the table, grabbing Clara and pulling her into a passionate kiss. Clara began to squirm a bit in embarrassment causing Taehyung to pull away. "I love you Mrs. Kim" he grinned.

"I love you too, my sweet husband."