Chapter 16

If this continued any longer Yoongi was sure he was going to lose his mind. Taehyung had been sulking for at least three weeks now and Namjoon was totally ignoring him, which was making everything painfully awkward. Everyone knew something must have happened between Tae and Clara. It seemed obvious enough, but the fact that they hadn't seen her for several weeks confirmed the situation.

Yoongi knew he needed to do something, and he knew who he needed to talk to first. When things got hard and the world seemed to be working against him, Tae only seemed to have two responses. He either became debilitated by fear and unable to move forward or he sprung into action without really thinking through his plan. While Yoongi still had no idea what the real issue was, he had to imagine at least part of it was that Tae was likely trapped in his own mind and needed someone to give him a good kick to get him moving again.

So when their early dinner break finally arrived, he grabbed Taehyung and told him they were going to the chicken soup place down the street. When Tae started to protest Yoongi cut him off. "I'm not asking you, I'm telling you. We are having dinner together, just the two of us."

At that point Tae knew he was about to get a swift kick in the pants. And if he was honest with himself, he knew he needed it.

He hadn't talked to Clara since the dinner at his parents. While he mostly blamed Namjoon, since he had essentially forbidden Tae from going to see her in person, he knew that the fault was really his. He honestly wasn't sure how to look Clara in the eyes, or what he could possibly say after everything that had transpired.

They had hardly sat down when Yoongi looked Tae in the eyes and commanded "talk."

Taehyung thought about turning it into a joke, asking what he wanted to discuss. But after this many years together, he knew that when Yoongi was serious he meant business.

"Hyung, my parents don't really like Clara."

"So?" Yoongi responded. Tae was familiar with Yoongi's tactics, he'd ask one word questions until you finally broke down and confessed the real issue. So with a sigh he decided he'd save himself the effort and start with the worst.

"When I introduced her to my mom she made Clara feel bad. And both my parents have forbidden me from seeing her again. They think she's not right for me and I'll only be hurt in the end. And honestly I don't know what to think. You know how hard it was after I broke up with Byeol and she made all of those accusations about me. I've never really trusted my judgment since. What if my parents are right and Clara isn't right for me? How can I tell my parents I disagree when I've been so wrong I'm the past?"

"Taehyung-ah. Let me tell you something. You were lucky to find Clara. She understands and accepts your career. She only has ever demonstrated kindness and generosity. She is smart and capable, and she likes you for the right reasons. If you let Clara go I believe you will be filled with regret for the rest of your life. And if you don't fix this now, like today, I'm afraid it is going to be too late."

Taehyung had always trusted Yoongi's advice. He was incredibly perceptive and always seemed to have the right answer. "Ok Hyung, I'll go talk to her."

"Before you do that you need a serious plan to deal with your parents. It isn't fair to drag her back into that mess. Before you go to her you need to be 100% committed to being by her side no matter what your parents think."

"But Hyung, how can I do that? My parents have done everything for me. I feel totally trapped. I can never make both of them happy."

"Tae, your parents have given you everything, all they want is for you to be happy and to have a beautiful life. You aren't trapped, you just aren't bothering to fix your own situation. Trust me, your parents will eventually get over it. But before you see Clara or your parents again you need to make a decision that you are first and foremost going to protect Clara, even if it is uncomfortable. Because if you aren't, then you really don't deserve her. And honestly I think Namjoon might actually hurt you."

Taehyung listened and he knew Yoongi was right. He did need to do better, and he needed to stand up for the girl who had claimed his heart. Even if it was difficult.

In some respects dealing with his parents might be the easy part. But how was he ever going to re-earn Clara's trust? While he didn't have a clear idea yet, one thing was sure. Waiting any longer wasn't going to make it any easier. No matter what it took, he was going to do it tonight.