7

"Riccardo

"Riccardo... Sophia's voice trailed off when I gave her a signal to be quiet. I took Esmeralda to her room and tucked her into the bed.

I stayed with her for a while staring at my precious emerald thinking of all the negatives that could have happened if i had lost her. I brushed the curls that dropped on her forehead and placed a soft kiss on her cheek before standing up but she was quick to grasp on my wrist.

"Don't go daddy" I heard her mumble out and a smile spread on my lips. I laid beside her for a while and when I was certain she was deep into her sleep I left.

I went down to find Antonio standing in front of the floor length window with a glass of drink in his hand. I looked around for Sophia but her presence was no where to be found.

I took silent steps towards his direction and stood beside him. "Maja Elzandre, the court's most visited criminal yet no allegation has been proven to be true" he looked away from his previous line of sight to face me.

A sigh escaped his mouth and he stirred his face away from my pointed gaze. "We knew if we had told you the person she was with you'd have acted on impulse" he was correct about that but I didn't find it in me to get mad cause it happened to be that the alleged criminal risked her life for my child.

I wouldn't say she saved Esmeralda so she could use it to get at me but she didn't seem to know me neither did she know Esmeralda so why?

"So how did you find out?" He inquired and I began the elaboration. "What do you think the request could be?" I folded my arms and turned my attention to the moonlight that streamed in through the window.

"I haven't thought about that yet but as long as whatever she ask doesn't involve Esmeralda then I'd be okay with it" i replied to his question with my mind lingering on what her request may be.

"Daddy" half way into our conversation I heard her voice and my head automatically turned towards her direction.

She was standing at the bottom of the stair case rubbing her tears filled eyes which drew my attention and got me worried.

"Gemma" I whispered and went to capture her into my hold. "What's wrong gemma?" She said nothing and just snuggled her face into my neck and i caressed her back to give her comfort.

"I'll go now Riccardo, Sophia must be waiting for me" He informed and turned to leave but I stopped him before he could go. "Are you two spending the night here?" He nodded and opened his mouth to give an apology for not giving me a heads up but I stopped him.

"It's fine by me Antonio" he passed me a grateful smile which i replied with a nod and he left. "Esmé?" I called softly and she slowly unlatched her face from my neck so she could look at me.

"I..I'm sorry daddy b..but i had a nightmare" I sat on the couch with her on my thighs. "What are you apologizing for gemma? You don't have to apologize to daddy for having a nightmare and can you tell me what this nightmare is about?"