9) the benefactor

Lyla and Derek were asleep when Lyla was tossing and turning.

Derek woke up about to wake her up to see if she was okay when he heard her say a name.

"Derek, Derek" she said over, and over which confused Derek.

>>>

It was the next day and Lydia, Scott, and Parrish came over to see if Derek knew what Parrish was.

Lyla stood off to the side while Derek examined Parrish. "He covered you in gasoline" Derek asked.

"It's the hair and nails, isn't it the parts of body that are essentially dead" Lydia asked as Derek stopped examining Parrish. "Well, they should be gone" Derek said.

"I was set on fire all of me should be gone" Parrish said. "Not if you're like us" Scott said.

"Like you" Parrish asked. "I don't think he's like us" Derek said. "Then what is he" Lydia asked.  "Sorry but I have no idea" Derek said.

"But you knew about Jackson and Kira" Scott said. "That's different" Lyla said backing Derek up. "This is a little out of my experience there might be something in the bestiary" Derek said. "Did you try Argent" Derek asked.

"I don't know where he is" Scott said. "Okay hold on what's a bestiary actually that's not even my first question just, just tell me one thing are all of you like Lyla and Lydia are you all psychic" Parrish asked.

"Psychic" Derek asked. "Yeah, not exactly" Scott said. "Okay then what are you" Parrish asked and Scott looked at Derek who gave him a nod Scott closed his eyes then opened them glowing their alpha color.

>>>

"What's, a Kanima" Parrish asked. "We'll get back to that" Lyla said. "Just know that everyone like us, everyone with some kind of supernatural ability is on the dead pool" Scott said.

"But I don't even know what I am" Parrish said. "I'm pretty sure they don't care" Derek said.

"How many professional assassins are we talking about" Parrish asked. "We're starting to lose count" Lydia said. "But is it still just professionals" Scott asked.

"I don't think Haigh's ever tried anything like this I think he was taking a chance" Parrish said.

"That means anyone with the dead pool could take a chance" Derek said. "But if Haigh had it then who else does how easy is it to get this thing now" Parrish asked.

>>>

"Meredith was only at my grandmother's lake house once but I think once was enough" Lydia said.

"How did your grandmother know her" Lyla asked. "She didn't, she found her because of another woman named Maddy the woman she loved" Lydia said.

"I never met her, but I saw her name everywhere she used to be part of a yacht racing team there were plaques and trophies it's in the lake house from all the regattas she'd won" Lydia said.

"How did she die" Parrish asked. "How's not the story it's what happened right before my grandmother Lorraine used to work in San Francisco for IBM she was there on a weekend catching up on work she started hearing this sound like rain" Lydia said.

"But when she looked out the windows all she saw was blue sky" Lydia said.

"But she kept hearing the rain" Scott asked. "And it just kept getting louder rain and thunder cracking like gunshots in her head so loud she finally just screamed" Lydia said. "Like a banshee" Derek said.

"She called Maddy who was planning on taking one of the boats out on the lake, but Maddy said that the sun was shining there too so Lorraine didn't say anything" Lydia said.