31. 𝓦𝓸𝓻𝓻𝔂 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝓸𝓾𝓻 𝓯𝓾𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

The continuous buzzing of the mobile made Vayu wake up. He rubbed his eyes a few times and tried looking around with narrowed eyes to search for his mobile.

"Pick up that freaking call," Kiana said in a sleepy voice and pulled the comforters from above her head. Vayu sighed as he finally sat straight and took the mobile from the side table. It was still early, and he was surprised to see the known ID flashing on his screen after a while.

He blinked his eyes a few times to get the sleep out of them and answered the call. "Adi?" He called with surprise in his voice.

"How did you remember me today and that too this early?" He asked with a chuckle.

"Where are you?" His cousin, Adiraj, asked. Adiraj Ray, who also happened to be amongst one of the most successful businessmen and Vayu's biggest competitor, was one of Vayu's closest cousins. Their mothers were maternal cousins and shared a special bond. So, while growing up together, Vayu and Adiraj grew closer as well. They shared similar personalities, so they got along better than anyone else. Apart from Raghav, Vayu had Adiraj to talk to, but this time, he didn't get to share about the new addition in his life amongst the chaos that was happening around him.

"I had some work in Chandigarh. What's happening with you?" Vayu asked. Adiraj stayed quiet for some time but sighed deeply.

"I am getting married," He said without any emotions holding in that voice. "You what?" Vayu asked with surprise and shock. His voice came out a little louder than expected. Kiana groaned in her sleep but managed to open her eyes and looked at Vayu.

He got up and took a t-shirt laying nearby. "Hold on," He mumbled while putting the mobile on the table and got into his t-shirt before getting out of the room with the mobile against his ear again.

Kiana frowned, but let him be. She was relieved to have woken up early and thought of getting out of Vayu's room before anyone could notice it.

"Sorry, what did you say?" Vayu asked again once he was out on the open terrace. He stood beside the railing with worry covering his face.

"I am getting married, bro. Come back soon," Adiraj said again and added, "It might be in the next 3-4 weeks."

"Have you gone crazy?" Vayu asked. "With whom?"

"Avni," Adiraj said in a low voice.

"Chandra? Avni Chandra?" He asked to be sure if what he was thinking is right. "Who else? I don't remember any other Avni in this business," Adiraj asked in irritation.

"Why? What deal did they crack?" Vayu asked again. "Just... They want to expand further," Adiraj said and sighed again before adding ahead, "Anyway, that was meant to happen someday. If not for her, they would have found someone else. I am available, so what's stopping them?"

"Isn't it too early?" Vayu asked.

"Vayu, let's not make it more difficult than it already is. I was upset that I hadn't even talked to her. I know it's not her fault, but I just can't process this," Adiraj said ahead.

"Can I do anything?" Vayu asked and heard him chuckle. "Just be here with me... That's all I could ask for," He said. Vayu nodded.

"Don't worry... I will be there soon," He said and frowned. "Why didn't you tell me this before?" He asked.

"I wasn't sure, I was angry, I was upset... I guess she was relying on me, too. I feel like I betrayed her," Adiraj said. "Anyway, come soon. We will talk then," He said.

"People truly thought you would marry Rati until she declared her love for her ex-husband," Vayu said with a chuckle. Adiraj smiled.

"That wouldn't have happened anyway. Never thought about her that way," Adiraj said. "You should have. Things might have been better," He said.