21. 𝓡𝓮𝓼𝓹𝓸𝓷𝓼𝓲𝓫𝓲𝓵𝓲𝓽𝓲𝓮𝓼 𝓸𝓯 𝓽𝓸𝓶𝓸𝓻𝓻𝓸𝔀

Colloquially popular as the 'city of gold', Johannesburg is the biggest city in South Africa that has mostly been known for being Nelson Mandela's home or for its astonishing museums. The squad reached the city early in the morning in the thought of exploring it.

On Kiana's insistance, Raghav called Tanish, but he refused to join them while stating he had already been to places. No one forced him and thought, looking around on their own.

The first stop they took was at Wits Art Museum. Opened in 2012, the Wits Art Museum houses a great collection of African art, which makes it one of the most interesting places to visit in Johannesburg. Being a part of the Wits University Cultural Precinct, this place also has temporary exhibitions, which can be admired for hours.

They moved to The Apartheid Museum next. Of all the Johannesburg attractions, the Apartheid Museum is one place that might be boring but actually isn't. Spectacularly portraying the apartheid story through photographs, artefacts, newspaper clippings, film footage, and more, this museum is the most intriguing place to visit. This place is a must if anyone wants to learn about South Africa's freedom struggle.

"Let's go for lunch," Anshika suggested. "Anshu, it's too early, and besides, we are leaving tomorrow night. Let's finish up places," Kiana said.

Anshika frowned. "But let's at least have some snacks," she said. "We can go to the nearest cafe and get over it quickly," Vayu asked.

Raghav nodded. "That would be good, babe," He said. Kiana made a face but wiped off expressions as she shrugged.

Raghav wrapped his arm around Anshika's shoulder as they walked through the street. "What's wrong?" Vayu asked.

Kiana shook her head slightly. "Babe? I hate that," She muttered while making him laugh. "He didn't call you. So don't worry," He said with a wink. She rolled her eyes while walking past him as he followed her along with Sam.

The lunch was as quick as Vayu suggested. They grabbed the wheels again and moved straight to Mandela House. Located in Soweto Street, this museum was once home to Nelson Mandela, the hero of the liberation movement. Irrespective of whether one is a history buff or not, this place is an intriguing attraction to visit in Joburg. The four rooms in the house showcase an array of photographs, paintings, and more of the Mandela family. Not just this, but it also exhibits the awards & recognitions earned by Nelson Mandela.

"I was always bad at history," Kiana said. Vayu nodded. "I know." She frowned as she watched him.

"Excuse me?" She asked while stopping at her place and folding her hands over her chest. Raghav was behind them who grinned at Vayu.

"I meant... I mean, you weren't good. I know you used to copy from the spec guy. He would go around telling people you had a crush on him," Vayu said. Kiana scoffed loudly.

"What? Are you kidding me?" She asked with the most unpleasant expressions. "That's true," Raghav said.

Kiana made a face. "What the hell?" She muttered.

"And I didn't copy the whole thing. I just couldn't remember the dates and stuff. I don't even remember birthdays," She said in defence.

"He is good at everything though," Raghav said. Vayu smirked at him. "I'm the best. Everyone knows that," He said and put off the shades before walking away.

Kiana sighed hopelessly. "There are no hopes from him, isn't it?" She asked. Raghav nodded in agreement.

"I have no doubt about it," He said while popping a dry fruit into his mouth.

Constitution Hill is among the most scenic places in Johannesburg owing to the fact that one can gaze at marvellous views of the entire city from here. Once a prison, this site now provides insightful information about South Africa's history. Representing the brutal treatment of political prisoners and criminals at that time, this erstwhile prison features rather provocative exhibits at its museums like Number Four, Women's Gaol, and Old Fort. These former prisoners even included Nelson Mandela and Mahatma Gandhi at that time. Apart from transforming this prison into a museum, the old Awaiting Trial building has also been renovated and made into the Constitutional Court of South Africa, which stands as a symbol of freedom and operates on the aim of protecting the rights of this nation's people.