Chapter 9- I'm here for you

It was a new school year and Bokuto would hopefully be graduating this year he stayed captain of the sports team since he was now a third but made Akaashi vice-captain.

The only thing that had really changed apart from everyone moving to a school was how close Bokuto and Akaashi were. They had been friends since the younger one of the two joined the volleyball team. Bokuto took an immediate liking to the setter and a bit of love at first sight If he were truly honest, but he never felt he could say anything and always had an excuse as to why he wouldn't just yet "it wasn't the right team" or "they were both busy", "Akaashi has been studying" and many more. The whole tens could tell how the two truly felt about each other but neither one would say anything to the other, he always hid it, scared of losing Akaashi. Meanwhile, Akaashi still saw Bokuto in a platonic way, sure he admired the boy a lot and would be his support during a breakdown, but Akaashi didn't realise his true feelings behind it.

Some of the team had noticed Akaashi was wearing bandages down his arm that would stop just before his elbow. They had no clue how long he had been actually doing this since during the past school year. he would always have a long sleeve on. The team found when asked he'd do one of three things: Excuse himself and walk off, avoid the question, or simply say "arm protection for setting". Some of the Fukurodani team members left it at those responses and decided to leave it at that while others, their captain especially wasn't too keen on that being the reason. The behaviour Akaashi had when asked changed from more nervous like he was a little kid being shouted at by his parents.

The golden retriever of a captain bounded over to Akaashi who was currently looking through his bag for something.

"AGGGHHHAAAASSSSHHHIIII"

Bokuto frowned as Akaashi flinched, this happened a lot more often. It was worrying since Akaashi never used to flinch or he didn't even flinch this much by the shouting Bokuto. The setter turned around noticing a familiar red stain on his bandages placed his hands behind his back so Bokuto wouldn't notice them. Bokuto despite being oblivious to many things could kick up on these little habits, he'd watch Akaashi now and then so he could tell when he was upset or angered, not easily but as time went on, he had gotten better.

"Sorry, aGhaashi! I wanted to show you something!"

Without properly thinking it through Bokuto reached out to grab Akaashi's arms, staring in shock and guilt as Akaashi pulled away and wrapped his arms in front of him in a protective manner, in such a state of fight and flight not fully aware meaning his arms weren't properly hidden. Bokuto noticed the reddening of the bandages and held a soft look.

"I'm sorry Akaashi, I shouldn't have just done that."

"It's okay Bokuto-San what did you want to show me?"

"Oh, yea the thing!"  Bokuto sighed looking down out of guilt, he didn't want to show Akaashi anything it was all a ruse. He wanted to get the setter away from the team to ask about the bandages.

"Bokuto-San?"

"I'm sorry Akaashi- I didn't want to show you anything... I said that because I wanted to talk to you alone, but I didn't think you'd come with me."

"Don't be sorry Bokuto, we can go talk. What's bothering you?"

Bokuto nodded and led Akaashi off to the changing rooms. He followed behind and once the two got there Bokuto shut the door behind them and made sure no one could enter before starting a conversation.

"I don't mean to intrude but I noticed the bandages on your arm were bleeding slightly and I wanted to check in."

"Oh, I see. I'm fine Bokuto-San do not worry."

"Please- I want to help. I know you say you might not need it or don't feel deserving of it if, but you are."

"....okay" Akaashi couldn't fight his emotions anymore, Bokuto was showing him the unconditional love he always felt he had to earn. At this moment Akaashi didn't feel alone, he knew it wouldn't last forever as everything does.

Bokuto sat Akaashi down and grabbed the first aid kit, carefully unwrapping Akaashi's arm after asking if he could. That's when he saw it. cuts. Human-made cuts. Fresh and old, a mix of them all. Bokuto sniffled slightly to hold back tears, Akaashi looked away from Bokuto, guilt worry, and self-hatred all of it flowing through him. Waking the overthinking as Bokuto was dead silent, Kōtarō noticed Akaashi's worry so softly smiled.

"It's okay 'Kaashi! I'm not mad or upset at you for this! It happens!" He carefully went back to wrapping the wounds. Once done the captain carefully held his setters' hands and looked him in the eyes "if I could I'd kiss everyone if these cut away, but I can't so promise me Akaashi you won't do this again."

Akaashi knew it was serious Bokuto hasn't used one of the many butchered yet adorable name versions he had earned over their friendship. He nodded and whispered, "yes Bokuto I promise."

Bokuto smiled in a comforting manner standing up and sitting next to Akaashi, he wrapped a gentle arm around the setter.

"I'll do whatever it takes to look after you 'Kaashi!"

Akaashi smiled softly, a weak smile. An 'I'm about to cry smile' Bokuto noticed this so pulled the raven-haired boy in for a hug, a big Bokuto hug and protected him. He gently rubbed warm, comforting circles on the other's back. Despite how platonic the two were Bokuto couldn't help but imagine what it would be like if the two were dating.

He smiled as Akaashi hid his face, fighting back the urge to break down into tears. Bokuto decided it might be good to distract Akaashi's mind so started by asking him about something before taking the conversation a different route.

"Would you want to sit our play today?"

"No, I think I'll be fine."

"Okay just don't faint cuz of low blood and iron stuff- Kuroo told me about science! And I remembered it. Like he told me all about his doc-o-something Acid"

Akaashi sniffled looking up at Bokuto "I won't but what he did tell you about it?"

"Oh, yea! It's like- um. It's a fatty acid I think."